Conversion of bit rate/sample rate

redge

I'm working on a documentary project that I want to produce for both film and radio.

Today a radio network confirmed that it will commission the radio side of the project. 

The producer says in an initial e-mail that he is ok with 16 bit, 44.1kHz.

If I want to record 24 bit, 48kHz, will that (especially the sample rate) cause the producer a problem?

When I used the word "conversion" in the subject line, is that even an appropriate description?

The producer and I are going to have a discussion on Monday.

Thanks.

I'm working on a documentary project that I want to produce for both film and radio.

Today a radio network confirmed that it will commission the radio side of the project. 

The producer says in an initial e-mail that he is ok with 16 bit, 44.1kHz.

If I want to record 24 bit, 48kHz, will that (especially the sample rate) cause the producer a problem?

When I used the word "conversion" in the subject line, is that even an appropriate description?

The producer and I are going to have a discussion on Monday.

Thanks.

I would strongly recommend that you either double-record (2 machines one @ 48k one @ 44.1) or just record @ 48k and then down-convert the files to 44.1 for the radio guy.  Always better to down sample than up sample.  If you do this you'll want to use a good quality conversion program, which will take some time.

Philip Perkins

Thanks Philip.

Thought I'd close the loop on this in case someone else runs into the issue.

This part of the discussion with the radio broadcaster took about five seconds. They have no problem with us recording at 48 kHz and will take care of conversion to their needs.