Gear Spotting

JDirckze

Was watching the film Aloha last night at a cute local theatre, and spotted one of (I presume) Mr Wexlers Zaxcom ERX's used as a prop radio or listening device in one of the opening scenes...

The movie sounded excellent, unfortunately that was probably the highlight for me.

Good eye. Only someone in the business would recognize the ERX. There was a request to Props to come up with some sort of obx that looked like it could be a listening device --- we all agreed that Comteks don't look high-tech enough so I showed him an ERX and that's what they went with. It is true, "Aloha" is not a very good movie, not entirely Cameron's fault by any means (lots of Studio meddling), but it was great to work on, my 6th movie with Cameron and a lot of the same people I love working with. We also did a pretty good sound job considering all the noisy military locations with no control over flight practice, idling C-17s, etc.

I never just give something over to props, every time I've helped them out with any of my gear (or with gear they have gotten which without my help will look ridiculous on screen) I always work with them. I started out in the Art Department and I know how frustrating it is when you get a last minute request for something that was never in the script.