Windows 10

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7, 8 10!

HAH!! 

The last computer I had running an operating system from Microsoft was a no-name 8088 XT clone that I built in 1981. 

Hmm... I wasn't too far off Jeff. 8086 clone with math co=pro... 1985... And then many... 

<I may be buying a Windows PC >>

Preparing for the Deva32? :)

I may be buying a Windows PC (all right, you can all get up off the floor). The last computer I had running an operating system from Microsoft was a no-name 8088 XT clone that I built in 1981. I need a little help understanding the specs for the model I might be getting. Lenovo - 19.5" Portable Touch-Screen. If anyone has the time (Courtney?) could you take a look at the specs for me? For example, processor type/speed, 1.7 ghz, is that going to be very slow?

Thanks. 

This looks OK for most tasks.  What are you going to be using it for?   Interesting design like a giant tablet but with a keyboard.

You won't find much of a faster clock speed in a Mobile platform.. This keeps the battery life long.   The new Intel Broadwell chips throttle down when nothing is goin on.  If you are going to be doing Video editing I would go for a desktop that can accommodate multiple screens and add in cards and faster or bigger Hard drives. Also most of the desktop Intel chips run at 3Ghz or above.  If not doing editing any i3 or even and Atom based processor will do.   I just got one of those Intel Stick computers that is about the size of a box of chicklets and plugs directly into an HDMI port on any TV or Monitor.   It has a 1.33Ghz Quad core Atom processor with integrated Graphics, 2 GB of Ram and a 32Gig SSD.  I put a 64Gig SD card in it for more drive space and I am amazed at how capable a machine this is that can slip in your shirt pocket with room to spare.  I was amazed that using my Multi-view playback software it is able to playback 9 HD H.264 video files simultaneously at full 30fps frame rate.  My $700 Mac Mini starts to stutter and stall with just 4 files playing.  This Hipstreet PC2GO was on sale last week at Fry's for $119 and comes with Windows 8.1 and a Year of Office 365.  It might be a good solution for someone running Mac Mini on their cart but need to run an occasional Windows Program for the Venu control or Windows only Utilities.  The whole computer costs less than a Windows 8.1 License that you would need to run as a virtual machine on the Mac Mini. 

Thanks, Courtney, I was figuring that the i3 and slow processor speed would be okay for what I will be doing. Certainly not my main computer, would only be so that I have at least one Windows based computer in the house (about the heaviest use it would get would be web surfing and email --- definitely no audio processing or video work). I know I could buy as dirt cheap notebook but I am intrigued by this configuration --- full size monitor, computer built in and battery fitted to continue working mobile if you want to. I have to say I am amazed at the amount of choice and the prices (of course you have always been telling me how I have always been paying WAY too much after drinking the Apple Cool-Aid.

For Internet and stuff, it should be fine..naturally the more RAM the better, especially if you're doing A/V.

Any new computer, you have to personalize the settings... and if it's production model, you'll want to de-crapify it.... remove all the built-in software you don 't want ...most of it..  starts automatically... slowing it down.... THIS IS IMPORTANT.... UNINSTALL ALL UNNEEDED SOFTWARE at once.
I recommend using the (free) 'Revo Uninstaller' which can also eliminate the registry entries which are no longer needed as well.

I am very knowledgeable in the Win OS since Win 95 and would be glad to help you in anyway Jeff.

BTW,  I started on a Mac in 96,  but went to PC when Mac was in turmoil,,,  I'm not sure I did the right thing...

Won't this be a lot like cheating on your wife, Jeff?

Well, I think you are setting yourself up for frustration if you buy an under powered machine.  But then again, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy; you can say "See, PC's are crappy".  Spend the extra $150 bucks and get something you won't hate (even though in your heart you WANT to hate it).

Jeff is right -- the number of choices available for Windows laptops is very impressive. Apple has shot themselves in the foot with their latest generations of laptops, particularly in cutting back on the number of i/o ports available. To me, they're sacrificing flexibility for sheer size & weight.

Where apple went wrong is not designing an OSX professional tablet. While I see some ipads used in restaurant, for professional work the ipad is not well equipped software wise.

I installed OSX on a windows tablet but the interface was a pain.

Jeff,

Are you interested in windows because of DEVA32? (:

THIS IS IMPORTANT.... UNINSTALL ALL UNNEEDED SOFTWARE at once.

I recommend using the (free) 'Revo Uninstaller' which can also eliminate the registry entries which are no longer needed as well.

The paid version of Revo would be optimal. Great program.

Get the System Mechanic Utility that keeps the computer os clean and running smoothly.

Duplicate File Finder program is great if you're copying and arranging files to send to folks and then forget to delete stuff.

It can save you hours of sifting through folders.

I got the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro which is one of the thinnest laptops in the world. It's a core M which isn't going to set the world on fire but for the basics such as web browsing ect its fine. Audicity runs fine on it as well. I bought it to use with the new osasis desk for the nomad as it is touch screen as well. 

Does the job but if I need power I have powerful desktop to do the more important work on.

Thank you to all my Windows PC friends who have chimed in here, helping me with my potential purchase of my first ever computer running Windows. I do look forward to all the great choices in HARDWARE that the Windows world provides, but I am still very much put off by some of the comments regarding SOFTWARE (operating system). Things like having to un-install stuff right from the beginning, things like this that Rick has said: "you'll want to de-crapify it.... remove all the built-in software you don 't want ...most of it..  starts automatically... slowing it down...." Why should I have to de-crapify a brand new computer? I hate things that run automatically and where you have to search for the way to shut these things down.

The only manufacturers that I know of that don't include crapware are MSI and Puget Systems.

MSI makes high performance gaming laptops and unsexy black boxes loaded with great motherboards and other guts. 

With Puget you can pick and choose components and they'll build it.

Thank you to all my Windows PC friends who have chimed in here, helping me with my potential purchase of my first ever computer running Windows. I do look forward to all the great choices in HARDWARE that the Windows world provides, but I am still very much put off by some of the comments regarding SOFTWARE (operating system). Things like having to un-install stuff right from the beginning, things like this that Rick has said: "you'll want to de-crapify it.... remove all the built-in software you don 't want ...most of it..  starts automatically... slowing it down...." Why should I have to de-crapify a brand new computer? I hate things that run automatically and where you have to search for the way to shut these things down.

First thing I do with a new laptop is clean install the OS. 

Yep.  Apple and Microsoft have very different philosophies on third-party software.  OSX (or iOS, etc) is a walled city and Windows is a marketplace.  So PCs are more customizable and easier to develop for, which is what gave them a big market share early on. 

However it also means that every PC comes with different crap that its manufacturer has developed for it - trying to create a unique experience for their flavor of PC.  It's all 100% garbage and should be killed early on.  It's a small chore that PC people barely notice.

I have a Lenovo Y510P gaming laptop that I use for editing audio.  It's powerful but a bit big & heavy.  I like it.

Here is a demo of the PC2GO computer on a stick that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

It may be of interest to those of you like Jeff who are in the Apple walled garden and want to dip a toe into the Windows world without spending a lot of bucks.

This came with Windows 8.1 but is elegible for a Windows 10 free Upgrade.

In the video I am actually running Windows 10 on it...  As you will see in the video it is especially good at dealing with media decoding and playback of various types.

NewEncodePC2GO.mp4

Edited by cmgoodin
More compressed Video file faster download

I loved that video --- thank you, Courtney!

I looked into the new class of Intel "stick" computers --- I think they are amazing! It wouldn't work for me in my particular case but I do think it offers a perfect opportunity for someone to get a familiarity with Windows OS. Almost everybody has a video monitor with HDMI so that's taken care of but you still need to add a keyboard and mouse or trackpad. Depending on what you're trying to do with it, since Microsoft has done a really good thing making the OS touch responsive, you could probably get away with a touchscreen monitor and just the stick.

Edited by Jeff Wexler

I had a rough gig Sunday night and during the loadout managed to destroy location laptop # 6, a PC netbook.  A drag, but not the disaster that the destruction of earlier Mac location laptops was: this was a $250 computer.  I went to Fry's, and for another $250 got another PC laptop, bigger, faster, with 3 USB ports, and SD slot, VGA, an optical drive, analog audio i/o on separate jacks and a few other ports I haven't bothered to figure out yet.  On set today the DIT, working a new Mac Book Pro and with a big backup of files to xfer at the end of the day, bemoaned his computer only having 2 USB ports….  My series of PC laptops have been ugly, slowish, unhip, unfancy but they have also been very cheap and get the boring work I need done on location done  and done well.

p

Phillip sorry to hear about your PC destruction.  My favorite Laptop for onset playback these days is the Asus K200MA.   It has an 11.6"  Touch screen comes with 4 GB of RAM and 500GB HD. Has a great Keyboard with all the keys including Function keys etc. and a large trackpad that works as well as the touchscreen.   Has every port you could want VGA, HDMI, USB 3,  2 USB 2 ports plus ethernet port and built in WiFi and an SDXC card slot that (unlike the apple laptops) holds the SD card completely inside the case so you can leave it in without worry of it getting broken off.  It is very lightweight and can run for about 5-6 hours on a charge.  Has a Intel Celeron 2.1 Ghz dual core processor (Baytrail) so the graphics performance is even better than the Stick PC in my demo.   They are on sale this week at Best Buy for $279.  I can get three of these for the price of one 11" Macbook Air.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/3953789.p?id=1219610983740&skuId=3953789

A lot of the "free" trial versions in Windows machines is bloatware and utter crap. I believe with Dell, you can pick up the phone and specifically request a machine that only has the operating system and nothing else on it... but you pay a premium for it. Microsoft and all those other software companies pay money to the hardware vendors to put the trial versions on for a promotional fee. Sneaky. At least Apple gives you software truly for free and not as trial versions.

A lot of the "free" trial versions in Windows machines is bloatware and utter crap. I believe with Dell, you can pick up the phone and specifically request a machine that only has the operating system and nothing else on it... but you pay a premium for it. Microsoft and all those other software companies pay money to the hardware vendors to put the trial versions on for a promotional fee. Sneaky. At least Apple gives you software truly for free and not as trial versions.

Apple has already made the money since they sold you an overpriced laptop that they make a 40 to 50% profit margin on.  Plus they don't put Trial Versions on their machines since they force everyone to buy/sell software through their iTunes Store with no Trial versions allowed and they make a cool 30% on everything sold there plus everything sold as a result of in-app purchases......

The only manufacturers that I know of that don't include crapware are MSI and Puget Systems.

MSI makes high performance gaming laptops and unsexy black boxes loaded with great motherboards and other guts. 

With Puget you can pick and choose components and they'll build it.

Add Microsoft to that list. 

Apple has already made the money since they sold you an overpriced laptop that they make a 40 to 50% profit margin on.  Plus they don't put Trial Versions on their machines since they force everyone to buy/sell software through their iTunes Store with no Trial versions allowed and they make a cool 30% on everything sold there plus everything sold as a result of in-app purchases......

Apple does not force everyone to sell software through the App Store --- you've got that wrong. I have purchased many applications directly from the software company online, no App Store, no Apple intrusion. If you have an app that you want to sell through the App Store then you DO have to play by the rules. Obviously, there are thousands of developers who have opted to market their applications through the App Store and have found this to be quite profitable for them (of course, hugely profitable for Apple as you mention, but so what). Back in 2013 the App Sore celebrated over 50 billion downloads. The chart below shows that as of January 2015, the Apple App Store is number 2, not far behind Google, so if the App Store marketing ecosystem is so draconian, why would so many developers go that route instead of just marketing their apps the old way?

app_stores.thumb.jpg.2b7bae915e89843d0c0

Edited by Jeff Wexler

I too have bought many apps outside of the apple store, and I prefer it this way.  There are some apps like my backup/sync software that I have to buy outside of the app store because of a few limitations imposed on apps sold through the store.

A benefit to developers of selling their software in the app store is showing up in the consumers searches.  It's quite common to want an app to serve a specific function, but not know what software to use, just search the app store and only apps show up (as opposed to a google search full of commentary, reviews, etc).  Mobile app stores have gotten us consumers very used to this model, and companies are trying to make it the norm.

Apple does not force everyone to sell software through the App Store --- you've got that wrong. I have purchased many applications directly from the software company online, no App Store, no Apple intrusion. If you have an app that you want to sell through the App Store then you DO have to play by the rules. Obviously, there are thousands of developers who have opted to market their applications through the App Store and have found this to be quite profitable for them (of course, hugely profitable for Apple as you mention, but so what). Back in 2013 the App Sore celebrated over 50 billion downloads. The chart below shows that as of January 2015, the Apple App Store is number 2, not far behind Google, so if the App Store marketing ecosystem is so draconian, why would so many developers go that route instead of just marketing their apps the old way?

Sure you can buy stuff not on the Apple Store but is is difficult on IOS.   And the reason developers go with the Apple Store is the same reason that manufactuers bend over backward and make horrible deals to get their products in Walmart.   They could sell them at a roadside stand but it makes sense to have them show up on the shelf where more people can find them.   In the software world everyone is taken first to the app store when looking for an app.  And for that privilege developers give up 30% of their profits right off the top.  

Edited by cmgoodin