Alexa Mini TC sync

As far as boxes on camera, I typically let the camera determine.  Shooting on Alexa, typically not if it can be avoided (trying minimise on camera weight when possible) as the hold TC very well, anything from RED drifts VERY quickly so those are an always.  I've found Sony, Panasonic, BM's new Ursa, etc. hold alright, but I'll still throw a box on to be safe.

And I always have my op or utility go put it on camera, just because I prefer my crew to be handling my gear as much as possible, because they tend to know by sync system better than another dept. would and then I have someone to troubleshoot any issues on the spot rather than having an AC run over and ask about issues jamming TC.

No complaints from DIT so far.

3 hours ago, mikewest said:

I'm always surprised that most AC's are disinterested in audio and timecode

and that they often have no understanding of the associated menus !!!!!!

mike

Might be because many ACs actually are wannabe DPs or limit their responsibility to focus pulling.

Those ACs that do the job because they are filmmakers, and actually want to be AC, usually know the menus very well and also know how to set up TC. These guys always have some velcro ready too and generally are nice to work with, and it's this type of AC that will always get a helping hand from a "filmmaker" type sound dept if they need.

4 hours ago, mikewest said:

mike

I had one AC to tell me: "Camera is free run, 25". I asked to check it in personal and I found it was rec run and 24. Later I was told her "when we change frame rate (from 50 to 25) I need to jam every time (I didn't had sync box)". Her question "Why" gave me headache.

I am really worry about future generations.

18 hours ago, mikewest said:

mike

It is a bit surprising, but most ACs I work with have told me they were taught that since it's an audio signal, leave it to the sound dept. to sync up to camera. 

And yes, I have had problems (only on some smaller shoots) when camera suddenly decides to change frame rate and neglects to inform me wondering later why that affects me. Then even later wondering why things aren't syncing properly. 

Another reason I just have my team take care of guide and TC as soon as camera says they're built. 

I have never had an issue with AC refusing to jam cameras, especially if the TC boxes came from camera house. On one show, they even brought them to me to get jammed and then took them back to their cart.

Sometimes I just employ the "stupid" card and pretend none of my department know the camera menus.

And the new REDs aren't that bad at holding time code. The last show I did with one was a few years ago, and even then it held TC just fine.

I think we worry too much about this stuff.

10 hours ago, RPSharman said:

I have never had an issue with AC refusing to jam cameras, especially if the TC boxes came from camera house. On one show, they even brought them to me to get jammed and then took them back to their cart.

Sometimes I just employ the "stupid" card and pretend none of my department know the camera menus.

And the new REDs aren't that bad at holding time code. The last show I did with one was a few years ago, and even then it held TC just fine.

I think we worry too much about this stuff.

I consider worrying, and being aware of potential problems and avoiding them before they happen, to be two entirely different things.

I, too, seldom have issues with ACs and consider them to be among my best allies.

I've been using the Denecke SB4 with a right angle Lemo in the 12 o'clock position and camera is leaving it on. This gives the ability to load cards easily without becoming a problem and a reason not to leave it on. We slid it back in this picture for clarity of the connector

IMG-1512.jpeg

IMG_1532.JPG

Usually it sits much closer to the body, which does mean it can heat up with the fan being so close but we never had a problem with it.

This was recomended by Panavision because the mini uses internal software to jam TC VS the SXT which uses a Ambient hardware based program to lock and re generate the TC.

The other thing I like to do is keep track of the TC on my monitors.

IMG_1534.JPG

The 2 frame off set has been explained to me as an error between the refresh rates and timing of the two Teradecks.

As for the jamming, camera trainee brings the slates and clockits to the cart we jam them and camera takes them back. I then verify the jam on the monitors. I like the fact that the "TC" indicator will actually change from red to white indicating a successful jam.

Bill

• 2 months later...

I may have queried this before but found I could not get an Arri Mini to accept external t/code

A/C had no idea

Eventually the DIT guy said the camera was set to "preset" and that was the cause

There was no Arri monitor on the camera so were using a bluetooth app on a cell phone

Oh well I'm putting the puzzle together piece by piece

mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike, not sure if this is relevant to your particular issue, but I noticed that something has changed (in the firmware?) a couple months ago. Whereas before, I just stabbed the camera, it took the jam - now, there’s a menu item “jam sync”, so camera does not take the jam unless it’s switched back and forth between preset and jam sync (then back again, or it will just say external tc is missing or similar).

3 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

Hey Mike, not sure if this is relevant to your particular issue, but I noticed that something has changed (in the firmware?) a couple months ago. Whereas before, I just stabbed the camera, it took the jam - now, there’s a menu item “jam sync”, so camera does not take the jam unless it’s switched back and forth between preset and jam sync (then back again, or it will just say external tc is missing or similar).

Good to know...    I've found it's about 50/50 wether or not they choose to let the box ride on the mini or not... Half the time they choose to because of "issues" with sync..

As MikeWest says... It gets frustrating... When that happens... after a bit of trying...I have to walk away and let the DIT or Camera deal with the issue..

Everyone knows it's problematic...

• 3 weeks later...

Right so version 5.0 software states:

"When switching from jam-sync to regen mode the camera will issue warning

'LTC signal missing' - In this case set the time code mode to pre-set then back to regen"

Hopefully the 5.1 release will be identical.

mike

5 hours ago, mikewest said:

Right so version 5.0 software states:

"When switching from jam-sync to regen mode the camera will issue warning

'LTC signal missing' - In this case set the time code mode to pre-set then back to regen"

Hopefully the 5.1 release will be identical.

mike

I just connect the box, switch to jam-sync, then switch back to pre-set and disconnect the box. Doesn't need to be switched to re-gen in my experience.

I'm starting a movie in a week that is shooting on the Alexa Mini.  I'm going to be using my ERXs for TC sync/ scratch audio.  Does anyone have experience with the TC clock on the Mini?  There are a lot of Movi shots they are trying to do and wanted to know if they needed the sync box.  I told them yes for now, but if the TC clock is the same as the Alexa, then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

There was a change to the timecode in the Alexa Mini that is causing errors in the camera when connecting an ERX. I highly recommend testing a few days in advance incase you need to source separate tc boxes. This is pretty much common knowledge with most Zaxcom folks. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 15.7.2017 at 3:23 AM, JWBaudio said:

...when camera suddenly decides to change frame rate and neglects to inform me wondering later why that affects me...

Doesn't affect "me". It's not me having to sync everything manually later when they "forget" to tell sound dept about frame rate changes. With a sync box always on camera, everything that needs to sync will sync - without anyone needing to care.

An ERX sized box might not be the ideal partner to go with gimbal rigs. Tentacles or (if ACN is needed) Nano Lockits have a much higher chance to be left on camera when going gimbal.

Lately I've had good luck selling small Mozegear TC boxes on Minis (on various rigs and handheld), I don't even ask about full size Lockits with genlock with those cams anymore.  Fortunately the Arris are pretty stable clock-wise.   With Reds stripped down for the same sort of use I make a short speech about clock stability (that no one wants to hear) and then they take their chances with the same small Moze boxes usually.  For Reds on tripods or dollies doing long takes (interviews that might run an hour+ at a go, etc) I'm usually able to get a full TC+Genlock box on the camera, if I whine long enough.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

The Alexa Mini has given me a huge headache because I can not get it to jam with my 633 or betso lockit box for the life of me. Ive read through this entire thread and have seemingly tried everyone's suggestions but for some reason my gear will not sync with the two different Alexa mini's I've worked with. Even worse is that I hear from DP's that no other audio mixers have ever had this issue so I look like an idiot. This is the first time I've ever had a technical issue in the field that I was unable to troubleshoot by lunch time of day 1. 

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I am suspicious of the Betso box since it's a word clock out but why wouldn't the camera jam from my 633 directly?