Sign in to follow this  
sarcanon

LA Times Creates New Sound Department Position

I think that means that someone who calls himself a grip is holding a fishpole (outdoors, with a zep with no sock….).   This is not the same thing as being a production sound recordist, or a real grip either.  

p

My favorite made up job title from about 4 years ago was a "Transpotographer" We were doing a reality cooking competition  so production hired PA's who were photo students to drive the contests around and then take photos of them. The producer said it was an easy way to save money since  photo's didn't need to be taken while they were being driven around He thought it might catch on thankfully haven't seen the job title on a call sheet since 

I have a new title: cheapskate/producer. Oh, wait -- I guess that's redundant.

We could make a new word like "Cheapducer" or "Procheaper" 

The old triangle strikes again.  Buzzfeed videos are very obviously cheap and fast to make.  Good? No.  The production value of their content is beyond terrible, but I guess that isn't the priority.

When someone ask me what job I am doing; I say: Pilot of Microphone.
Sounds more delicate terminology. LOL

Actually, the sound dept used to have a position that I think was called Sound Grip back in the day. They were basically in charge of rigging mikes on set. They also had a Boom Pusher position, the person assigned to move the perambulator boom during (or between) shots.

"I don't care what they're talking about, all I want is a nice fat recording".

Harry Caul "The Conversation"