My car should be considered a production truck

Martin Kittappa

I don't own a truck or a van, so I always drive my equipment to set in my car. I often find that it is a huge fight to have my car considered to be included in the transportation footprint. There's always a space for the grip truck, camera vehicle (which is sometimes a car) and other trucks and vans. I always ask to have my car included in the footprint, but it is hit and miss as to whether it happens on the day. The frustrating thing is when they make you download to location then make make you drive to crew parking and  shuttle back to location, then at the the end of the day, have break down the equipment, wait for a shuttle to get the car and then drive back to location to load out, when all that time could have been saved if I was able to park with the production vehicles. Of course I'll claim overtime up until I'm tail lights, but I'd rather be off and away home then collect the thirty minutes to an hour O/T that  it can take, especially if crew parking is stacked parking situation. 

Is this a common problem, any ideas on how to approach this with the productions?

My van is a wheelchair van with a ramp out of the back. It looks unusual so it fits in with other odd production vehicles. I try to inform whoever is parking vehicles that I keep lots of extras in the van that I might have to get to during the production day. That usually gets me classified as a "production vehicle".

I try to inform whoever is parking vehicles that I keep lots of extras in the van that I might have to get to during the production day. That usually gets me classified as a "production vehicle".

This is the same tactic I use and it usually works every time. Of course, it's also mostly true. Sometimes I have to run to my truck to get a piece of gum or a couple extra AA batteries for my slate.  

Edited by Michael Miramontes

It's true that having a "production" style vehicle helps (ie van), although I notice that VA people can drive anything and get parked, prob because they are considered part of the camera dept.   Yes, my van is a prod vehicle, thanks.  There isn't always room, I try to be flexible, but there better be a good reason why it's not where the camera etc trucks are.  This issue is part of my download to whoever hires me, along with them paying mileage etc..  Some transpo guys have a jones about sound vehicles--I've found that having a "serious" looking van that isn't a MegaSprinter usually gets me by them.  Often they mention to me how glad they are that I don't drive a MegaSprinter, I think that gets me parked closer sometimes.

p

Ive had the same here in the UK. I just tell them the truth and  say you gonna cause a 30 mins delay if I have to get some carpet or blankets, suddenly I'm let in no problems just like everyone else has said. 

Lisala 

find allies.  onset carp and painter are often in the same boat if they drive a smaller vehicle.  I drive a mazda5 and am often ignored on some productions.  my present production rotates location managers.  on the even episodes,  the folks are very attentive.  I offload in front of set,  and they have a parking spot around the corner (often closer than camera because of the size of the vehicle).  also,  the onset carp on this show is the crew rep,  so he is very  receptive to my parking issues, because of his own problems.  I hate to give away time to the production,  but there are popular locations in my locale,  that I know the production has endless ways of screwing up.  I go early,  to ensure easy access,  and have time to leisurely set-up.  some days,  mental health is more important. it also helps to have prime real estate on set, and allow camera to share the space.  makes for good interdepartmental relations. 

• 2 weeks later...

Usually the teamsters get super pissed when you bring in your own equipment. They look at it as if you are taking work from them.. Just last week they got miffed at the second unit mixer that brought his gear on set in a single large pelican case... They took the case from him at the end of the day and sent a truck 35 miles out of town to deliver it to his house.

Usually the teamsters get super pissed when you bring in your own equipment. They look at it as if you are taking work from them.. Just last week they got miffed at the second unit mixer that brought his gear on set in a single large pelican case... They took the case from him at the end of the day and sent a truck 35 miles out of town to deliver it to his house.

Holy crap! They're insistent. I don't get many jobs where the teamsters are transporting our gear..but they had a problem and picketed the local film commission once, about a big budget film that came to town..and we're not a union state. I wondered about Georgia. 

You have reminded me Todd why it is I still carefully sit down at work: it's 'cause of the whoopin' I got from the Teamster Captain my first 2nd Unit gig. His bottom line was it's his call. Not asking in advance was the sin. Have since gone through the Teamster captain for anything transpo and never had a problem.

Parking near set's a different horse, but in the NYC narrative world such a thing would only ever happen with Teamster Captain blessing.

When I started doing 2nd units in Los Angeles, I always called the Transpo captain and asked how they'd like to handle transportation. At first it was my bringing my vehicle (with trailer) to the location, at which point they parked it and moved it if there was a company move. We'd skirt around the issue of collecting gear from my house, sharing camera truck, etc., but they recognized the obsurdity and additional effort required. As Jan wrote, it's important to ask and show understand of the "rules".

In the UK, there really is no defined Transpo department, that I can figure out anyway. Some very big budget shows supply a sound truck, but it's rare. Vans are owned my mixer and rented to production. Parking hadn't been an issue. I often get closer being in a van versus a truck.