8020 T slot Wheels and Rack Rails

jacefivesound

Hello All,

If this has been addressed somewhere else please let me know, I don't want to be redundant.

I'm starting the process of building a custom follow cart. I would like to build the cart out of T slot 8020, with rack mounted drawers, 2 'smart wheels' and 2 dumb wheels, like a magliner.

The advise I'm looking for is the best way to attach wheels and rack rail to T slotted aluminum. I'm looking to get the same wheels as my magliner, basically what I've attached below. Has anyone attached these to T slot 8020? Looking for success stories.

Non Smart Wheels: http://www.filmtools.com/8ripnca.html

'smart' wheels: http://www.filmtools.com/8swpnca.html

I know I can get rack rail anywhere, and it seems simple enough, attach it like I would another 80/20 profile. This is what I figure I'll use - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raxxess-Rack-Rails--Pair--100996115-i1427116.gc?country=us&currency=usd&isfullsite=1&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CJb1wM2SpMcCFdCRHwodAw0LNA

Any advise from a similar project welcome!

Thanks,

J

Edited by jacefivesound

As long as you put the wheels on the four corners, you'll naturally have 3 holes that should line line up with the slots on the frames. You can also get thin metal squares that can go between the wheels and the frame - a sort of platform to attach the wheels to. Judging by the pictures, the holes on the wheels look big, you'll probably need some washers. But you can put screws right through and into Drop in or slide in T slot fasteners. 

For the rack rails, you need the width from center left rack hole to center right rack hole to be the same width as the two horizontal T slots. You'll probably go through a distributor for the 80/20 and they can probably go off of the main constricts of your design. 

What Joshua says, pretty much the way I did it with my follow cart (built with 80/20 profiles). I used an 80/20 profile which is not the most common type we have seen many carts using, but rather a solid tube-style that is 1 ½ inch square. I did utilize three of the slotted holes on the caster wheel's base (had to used flat washers because of the slotted holes) and then I also secured the fourth hole with a bolt through the material I used for the bottom shelf of the cart.

For my main cart, built with 80/20 10-10 profiles, I did bolt the front casters with their plate directly to the profile so I know it does work.

new_follow.1.thumb.jpg.67b0915e30ec46f62

Follow Cart

Awesome, thanks so much guys. Jeff, your cart shown there was actually the original inspiration for what I want to do. I also have a BDS system on my follow cart to power chargers, lights, etc off of a 12v source, so I plan to integrate the cabling for that into the cart. I Also plan to build a more logical storage space for my carpets and mats.

I'll post pictures when finished, provided I'm a success.

• 11 months later...

Regarding 80/20 carts and rack rails.. I've seen a few pics where it looks as though people have just screwed their rack-mount gear directly into the T-slot channel (using the roll-in nuts probably).

If this is possible why bother putting rack rail up?

The 80/20 material is very versatile and attaching rack gear directly to the frame, using the slide-in nuts, is an option. 

But that would mean that your frame rails would be restricted to a span of nineteen inches. That's a bit of a tight fit for some commonly used mixing panels. A wider frame by an inch or two with rack rails attached where needed offers a bit of flexibility. 

David

David's observation about using 80/20 profiles as your rack attachment points is valid. All of the carts that I have built the frame width allows for rack rails to sit inside the frame --- this also allows rack gear to be inset and protected rather than sitting right on the outside facia of the cart. If you use 1" profiles and have rack rails sit inside, it only adds overall 2" to the width of the cart, still keeping it quite narrow and able to fit through most all standard doors.

• 2 weeks later...

Having designed and built quite a few carts from T-Slot profile my suggestion is to read the documentation from the supplier as it has a wealth of information on what to do and what NOT to do when it comes to forces being applied.

There is more to it than simply bolting it together ;) 

On 26 July 2016 at 4:36 AM, Derek H said:

Regarding 80/20 carts and rack rails.. I've seen a few pics where it looks as though people have just screwed their rack-mount gear directly into the T-slot channel (using the roll-in nuts probably).

If this is possible why bother putting rack rail up?

Apart from the reasons given by others above I would like to add that for true flexibility you'll want the rack rails. Otherwise you'll end up in the position where you want to add or change something and won't be able to because you don't have the necessary t-slot nut where as you can easily get hold of a rack screw!

best of luck

• 1 month later...