Scans | Lectro vs Zaxcom

JDirckze

Just curious here...

When I scan on my block 22 UCR201, it will show a clear scan. A scan on my QRX100 will show a LOT of RF activity across the same block.

Is it just a case of the QRX-100 being more sensitive? Is there something else at play here?

There are no other factors (Tx etc) to influence the difference in the scans, just two receivers, side by side with no other equipment on.

Very keen to hear from other users who use both Zaxcom & Lectro Rx and their experiences with the scanning functions of both.

Cheers, Jason

I use SRB's and QRX200's and my QRX always shows more activity. This is the same with whips on the XR or PSC SMA multi. The results change slightly  using a micplexer. I've always assumed Zax are a little more sensitive and disregarded a bar or two, without noticing any real world difference.

I can't remember the last time I saw clear patches on my QRX100s; there's almost always a line of fuzzy moss on the spectrum, whereas I always see tons of free space on my 411a receivers. I usually just chalk that up to them being on different blocks though (21 vs 19). I do find that I get significantly longer range from my SMQVs than my TRXs though...

Glad it's not just me...

Being in Australia, and often times in more remote areas, all of my Lectro receivers (411's, SRb's) on different blocks will show completely RF free scans, but my QRX when it was in block 25 would always be busy with lower level RF junk, and now that I've had it re-blocked to 22, still that same activity is there on the scan...

YOU NEED TO GET THE ANTENNAS OUT OF THE BAG. You will get clean scans as well if you get the antennas away from you by like 5ft. Huge con in Zaxcom gear, but there are many pluses so I deal with it. Their other gear in the bag leaks a lot and their are no fixes by Zaxcom as of yet.

YOU NEED TO GET THE ANTENNAS OUT OF THE BAG. You will get clean scans as well if you get the antennas away from you by like 5ft. Huge con in Zaxcom gear, but there are many pluses so I deal with it. Their other gear in the bag leaks a lot and their are no fixes by Zaxcom as of yet.

I have noticed this is well. As soon as I get some dipoles up on the harness, I get a lot of completely open parts to my scans, of course depending upon my location. If I'm doing a shoot where I need the extra range, I will go with those. If I don't, then whips it is. I have noticed that when I have just 1 QRX on and then turn on a 2nd QRX, I immediately get a bump in the noise floor, almost as if one QRX is outputting RF spray to the other. don't get that with my Lectros though.

Just curious here...

When I scan on my block 22 UCR201, it will show a clear scan. A scan on my QRX100 will show a LOT of RF activity across the same block.

Is it just a case of the QRX-100 being more sensitive? Is there something else at play here?

There are no other factors (Tx etc) to influence the difference in the scans, just two receivers, side by side with no other equipment on.

Very keen to hear from other users who use both Zaxcom & Lectro Rx and their experiences with the scanning functions of both.

Cheers, Jason

QRX is more sensitive and deals with noise very well with the new XR modulation.

Like Tim said: Take the antennas out of the bag.

And I always say: Don't use Zaxcom with whips if you want great range.

The thing is, I don't use my QRX in the bag, it's my hop/camera link receiver. So even when it is on a camera there is still a lot of lower level RF activity across the whole frequency range, and a few spikes too. However, a scan on the same block on a Lectro receiver shows a completely clear scan.

I guess my question should be;

Has anyone ever had a scan on a Zaxcom receiver that was completely clear? 

The QRX shows you absolutely anything that might be of interest. If you do a scan with a Lectro and a QRX side by side the QRX will show lots more stuff.  My theory is if you do a scan and don't see anything across the board then you are not going to be picking the best possible frequency.

-howy

The QRX shows you absolutely anything that might be of interest. If you do a scan with a Lectro and a QRX side by side the QRX will show lots more stuff.  My theory is if you do a scan and don't see anything across the board then you are not going to be picking the best possible frequency.

-howy

Thanks for the clarification Howy, really appreciate it...