Anyone with experience regarding the SD 688 "mix assist"?

Chris R

I currently own a SD 664 and 633 and have been thinking about upgrading the 664 to a 688 strictly for mix assist (4-10 people round tables etc) . I'm struggling to find much good info online before I pull the trigger.

How's it working out? Good in noisy environments or just quiet spaces? Any quirks or tips?

I appreciate the help!

I assume the new 688's MixAssist will work about as well as the 788, which was generally very good, particularly in unscripted or adlib situations. Generally I think the best advice is to rent or borrow one for a day or so and test it out before committing to a purchase.

Edited by Marc Wielage

I've used MixAssist on my 788 three or four times, with varying results. I think the quieter the background the better and indoors better than out. The one time I used it "outside" in a building being renovated with the street nearby I got the worst results. It certainly helps that you also have iso tracks to back everything up.

I'm with Mario: with my 688 in a outside scene with 2 TX (mix assist) and a boom ( not in the mixassist) with some backgroundnoise, mixassist tends to be a bit late (mixassist did not read the script....) Hear the rehearsal with mix assist on, and decide on that (if mix assist will work!) .In a 'realityshoot' my guess is it can help,but still it tends to be a bit 'late'...I bought the 688 not just for mixassist,(also for the SL-6) but if you want to check out this feature rent one!