MKH 30 + 416 and/or AT 4053b for M/S

sinnlicht

Hi, 

Have an MKH 30 here and wanting to pair with my 416 or AT 4053b for M/S. Any caveats or relevant experiences? I understand the ease of pairing with other MKH mics, but thats not financially in the cards right now. 

Thanks
Richard

Edited by sinnlicht

I can't comment on the MKH 30 specifically, but I have used an MKH 416 paired with a Schoeps MK 8. I would say the narrow pickup pattern of the shotgun limits the usefulness of the M/S scenario to situations where you don't have much sound coming from anywhere but primarily the front. I used it at a few football games for wild crowd noise, and ultimately a simple AT 825 XY mic sounded better. A match between the mid and side mics is ideal, but great results can definitely be had with different brands, and I think the choice of pickup patterns for the mid channel relevant to what you're capturing is probably more important.

I can't comment on the MKH 30 specifically, but I have used an MKH 416 paired with a Schoeps MK 8. I would say the narrow pickup pattern of the shotgun limits the usefulness of the M/S scenario to situations where you don't have much sound coming from anywhere but primarily the front. I used it at a few football games for wild crowd noise, and ultimately a simple AT 825 XY mic sounded better. A match between the mid and side mics is ideal, but great results can definitely be had with different brands, and I think the choice of pickup patterns for the mid channel relevant to what you're capturing is probably more important.

And that is why I was also interested in the 405x series with its three different capsules. I have the 4051 and the 4053. Some write about using an omni for the M, which would be the 4049. Thus between the 416 and these three capsules, there is, in theory, a lot bases covered. But experience can often prove otherwise ...

It really depends on what you are doing. if you wanted to capture atmos at a football game i certainly wouldn't pick up my 416 for my M channel. the image would be narrow and have lots of proximity effect (center exaggeration). on the other hand that would be great for recording something going by quickly like a car, bike, skateboard etc.

also think about down the road. MKH 30 is the standard when it comes to a MS Side mic. i rather get a MKH 30 and buy a MKHX0 or MKH80XX down the line when i had the cash.

It really depends on what you are doing. if you wanted to capture atmos at a football game i certainly wouldn't pick up my 416 for my M channel. the image would be narrow and have lots of proximity effect (center exaggeration). on the other hand that would be great for recording something going by quickly like a car, bike, skateboard etc.

also think about down the road. MKH 30 is the standard when it comes to a MS Side mic. i rather get a MKH 30 and buy a MKHX0 or MKH80XX down the line when i had the cash.

Yes, all good tips. I have the 416 and AT 4051 and 4053, and MKH30 was not cheap. Down the road I can think about the a MKHX0 or MKH80X. Working primarily in guerilla documentary, we are forced to do the best on a virtually non-existent budget. So before I commit some error, I am testing the waters with what we have. 

In a related matter, two accessories that I have been advised about are the Ambient QFL floater and the Twister QUM. Is there consensus that they are essential, is there more that is objectively needed, i.e. Rycote Connbox?, etc? Suggestions re Cinela are not really possible right now. Thanks RL

The AT stuff is nice for the money but i would still say 416 + MKH30 for a few reasons. the 416 is almost bullet proof in harsh conditions, works really well in a variety of applications, it will give you a decently narrow pickup pattern and it will do ok outdoors and indoors within reason. The MKH 30 is a fantastic mic and will work great with a number of options. also both the 416 & 30 have lower noise ratings then the AT stuff.

I don't know what the Ambient QFL Floater is but wind protection is required and certainly a connbox would be ideal to have. If you can rent before you buy that is also a good option. 

Perhaps, were it not for the CCM8/CMC68. Just sayin' :-)

Actually, I would love to try a MKH 30/40 combo one day, just 'cause I'm micurious.

i have a CCM 8 and CCM 41 MS setup too. i actually like it a lot. If it wasn't for cost i think a lot of people would go for the Schoeps rig. the MKH 30/40 combo is the stuff of legends! modern classics in a way at a pretty reasonable cost. they both have their place but if you could pick one it would be 30/40 for me. 

I have a DMS Schoeps (Cmit +ccm8 +ccm4)

I do not record a lot of surround, but I find it handy that I can just flip the setup backwards and have a wider pattern. So  - the cmit/ccm8 should be comparable to your 416/30 setup - GIVE IT A TRY!

I have found the narrower stereo with strong "long" mid (cmit) very good for documentary stuf & sound effects. The M/S stereo that I record as buzz track (atmos)  in place dovetails with the dialogue (which is just the Cmit) - but gives it a bit of width - I really like the convenience as well.

I do not do narrative...

Cheers

stef