My Custom Follow Cart

Michael Wynne

So after a lot of research, measuring, thinking and re thinking, asking advice, changing my mind, and designing a 3D model in sketch up. I enlisting the skills of top notch Atlanta metal machinist and welder Jason Dozer to bring it to fruition.  Special thanks to mixers Michael Clark for letting me borrow some ideas from his build to implement into mine, Todd Weaver for making me aware of Dozer's cart building skills by sharing his design with all of us,  Whit Norris for listening to me talk about it every waking minute during the build, and Jake Slaney for helping me pick it up today.  I still have some final details to ad for cable management and power but I thought it was complete enough to share with the group.

2015-08-29 16.16.37.jpg

2015-08-29 16.15.51.jpg

2015-08-29 16.15.25.jpg

2015-08-29 16.15.16.jpg

That is a truly beautiful follow cart! If I didn't already have one, this is what I would want. You are so lucky to have found a metal craftsman in Jason Dozer. I know I already asked about the weight (it still looks really heavy) but since it is all aluminum (like mine) I imagine the heaviest parts are the wheels and whatever gauge material (hopefully still aluminum) was used for the top surface and the shelf surfaces. One question: why four boom holders? Do you really expect to have 4 fishpoles riding around on the follow cart?

Thanks Jeff !  The top & bottom and shelf surfaces are also aluminum,  including the drawers from Rackman.  The shelves top & bottom are all 1/8" thick with a 3/8" high U shaped bracing crossing like a T underneath which are also 1/8" thickness.  I'm not quite sure on the dry weight but it was quite easy to load into the cargo van which had a pretty steep ramp which was a pleasant surprise.  The thought on four pole holders was really a matter of me thinking symmetry and utilizing the space before function.  I do have a few poles, and do like the idea of having more boom pole holders and plan to use one of them to hold a umbrella for shade.

Thank you Dominique.  That is a Tas Merah TM-1-2 medium make up case which is used for managing transmitters, law's, tapes, wind, etc and everything you would need for wiring talent at the cart or on the go.  There's a few mixers in town using this case, and loved the idea so I decided to adopt it into my workflow.   I also designed the upper left shelf dimensions to fit this case to give more working room on the surface when needed.

Very Very nice, and that handle design is really robust -

I think you'll appreciate that more than anything as you navigate this over tricky turf.

This has me thinking about a "handle change" on my own stuff....

Congrats on the new build!

MF

Mike, I have a couple of aluminum drawers in the silver finish, and have been looking for more.

Starcase seems to have stopped making them.

Where did you source these?  I'm looking for a 3 RU with slam latch.

MF

Hi Mike,

It was indeed Rackman, Terry Colette Jr was really great to talk too as well.  Be sure to ask for him, he's very knowledgable and helped me through the whole order process.  They seem like a small shop which I always like and when you call they'll ask if you want Senior or Junior which makes me think he's one of the owners.

M

• 1 year later...