reasearch tracking technology for locating gear

RadoStefanov

I have been looking in to tracking technology and how it can benefit us.

I had success today tracking a comtek with tile Velcrod on it.

It was simulated event  "I told my producer to just set it somewhere in the 5 buildings where we shoot" but I found it successfully in the paint shop.

I believe I can break the tile plastic and  tape the blutooth board and battery with Kapton Polyimide Film Tape  inside a comtek  or my OneUnit.

I see a lot of possibility for us to benefit from this  technology. Gps trackers are interesting as well but bigger then Blutooth.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

P.S. Yes I understand that this technology is scary and can lead in to totalitarian society where the government will require everybody to have one implanted but LETS FOCUS ON THE POSITIVES here Please

Edited by RadoStefanov

I worry slightly about the concept of a tiny gizmo that can be made to make a noise remotely. What if it goes off in the middle of a take? I also worry about a gizmo that can be double pressed and it will make your phone make a noise, even when it is on silent!!!! Same issue. Can you imagine all the crew and SA's having their various devices making noises in the middle of a take? Yet more noise pollution on set ;-)

Kindest,

sb

Tried TRACKR  earlier in the year.

It's not a great choice for a few reasons.  

1)Map App Not very precise.  About a one city block  is as small as it can tell you.  which is not consistently enough for you to hear  if you turn on its sound producing function.  My mixer felt it was better than nothing, but I don't think it was that helpful

2)you can match a max of 10 of them per mobile device, and I am not certain that you really get a unique identifier per trackr unit.  That is, I think we had two tx units with the same signature.

3) the battery life for the disc battery is ..... 6-10 hours!   making it prohibitively expensive to deploy these very day.

Edited by Christopher Mills

I worry slightly about the concept of a tiny gizmo that can be made to make a noise remotely. What if it goes off in the middle of a take? I also worry about a gizmo that can be double pressed and it will make your phone make a noise, even when it is on silent!!!! Same issue. Can you imagine all the crew and SA's having their various devices making noises in the middle of a take? Yet more noise pollution on set ;-)

Kindest,

sb

if the device is inside the comtek nobody can press it....

• 4 months later...

GearEye looks really cool, but I'm not sure it will be good for finding lost stuff or doing anything beyond checking what's in a bag. 

RFID range depends on the frequency band they're using (here's a nice link if you want to read more http://www.impinj.com/resources/about-rfid/the-different-types-of-rfid-systems/) - basically the higher the frequency, the greater the range, but the tag has to be more specialized (antennas/power/etc) and metal interferes with higher frequencies.  The LF band, which reads the best on metal, only has a range of 4 inches or so.  So unless they have some magic up their sleeves, it could be a pretty limited system.

I had this idea a couple years ago but never went beyond the very simplest research steps - very cool that these people followed through with it!  I'm hoping they did work some magic because I want to use something like this.