Bag Cart

Matt Bacon AMPS

Here are some CAD drawings of my forthcoming Sound Cart (hopefully available end this month). Last chance to send me your ideas and feature requests before a final design is locked down.

Made of aluminium the cart is extremely light-weight yet very strong. It has been primarily designed as a bag cart however it would be suitable for those that need a compact "grown-up" cart (max load 25kg). It features a total of 18u storage (3x 6u) in addition to 3u dedicated to video monitor use (which can be angled). Because standard 19" racking is employed, you can customise it using any 19" gear (shelves, drawers etc.).

There will be a range of optional extras for things such as boom poles etc. These are still being finalised as is the price of the cart.

The cart can be easily and quickly taken apart for storage or transport. Dimensions: 1007mm (H with monitors folded down) or 1079 (H with monitors fully upright) or 907mm (H with monitors folded down and wheels off), 697mm (W), 508mm (D)

Please PM for further information or with your comments/suggestions or visit my Facebook page: http://facebook.com/soundcart 

Cheers Matt

Red Cart 4th September Back.png

Red Cart 4th September Front.png

Red Cart 4th September Left.png

Red Cart 4th September Rear.png

Red Cart 4th September Right.png

Red Cart 4th September Top.png

Red Cart 4th September.png

Edited by mattbacon

My cart is the result of looking at existing cart designs (including many from this website as well as the EuroCart) so comparisons are inevitable I suppose. I'm accepting your comment as a compliment ;)

One advantage I say this cart had over the EuroCart is standard 19" kit can be used (which ironically could be argued as a disadvantage as it makes the cart wider!)

Edited by mattbacon

My cart is the result of looking at existing cart designs (including many from this website as well as the EuroCart) so comparisons are inevitable I suppose. I'm accepting your comment as a compliment ;)

One advantage I say this cart had over the EuroCart is standard 19" kit can be used (which ironically could be argued as a disadvantage as it makes the cart wider!)

Will there be any proprietary components?

Edited by Michael Miramontes

Hi Matt,

Do you remember the Ravencourt cart? It looked broadly similar to your CAD drawings above. One of its great failings was that it had the axle points for the big wheels in exactly the same place as you are proposing.The consequence of this was that the whole cart can pivot 'away' from the recordist (assuming recordist is in the mixing' position), ie the top can pivot away from the recordist, and it basically falls over really easily. The way to stop this might be to move the axle/pivot point away from the recordist by about 50mm. So - where your arrangement, looking at it from the side, might be seen as an upside down 'L' shape, it would become an upside down, lopsided 'T' shape - with the much longer cross piece heading as per your current L thing, and the shorter part of the T crosspiece going away from the recordist. This would make a HUGE difference to the cart's C of G around the pivot point.

It doesnt make your engineering job any easier, but it will make the cart a whole load more stable.

Other than that it looks like a great idea. Keep up the good work ;-)

Kindest regards,

sb

I

I

I

I

I

0 _______

vs

I

I

I

I

I

0________

Hi Matt,

Do you remember the Ravencourt cart? It looked broadly similar to your CAD drawings above. One of its great failings was that it had the axle points for the big wheels in exactly the same place as you are proposing.The consequence of this was that the whole cart can pivot 'away' from the recordist (assuming recordist is in the mixing' position), ie the top can pivot away from the recordist, and it basically falls over really easily. The way to stop this might be to move the axle/pivot point away from the recordist by about 50mm. So - where your arrangement, looking at it from the side, might be seen as an upside down 'L' shape, it would become an upside down, lopsided 'T' shape - with the much longer cross piece heading as per your current L thing, and the shorter part of the T crosspiece going away from the recordist. This would make a HUGE difference to the cart's C of G around the pivot point.

It doesnt make your engineering job any easier, but it will make the cart a whole load more stable.

Other than that it looks like a great idea. Keep up the good work ;-)

Kindest regards,

sb

I

I

I

I

I

0 _______

vs

I

I

I

I

I

0________

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your detailed comments. Remember the Trakker cart well (and it tipping over!). I had looked at the axle position during the design process and took the descision to reduce the footprint of the cart instead (as many had requested a compact cart as possible). Malcolm Davies made a similar point to your own on another forum. I must see how he positions his axle. 

The beta testers made no reference to this issue so I had assumed all was well (or they loaded the cart sensibly).

I should perhaps take a look at it once again. 

How did you tackle this issue on your Zucca cart?

image.jpg

I have always been worried about the Zuca cart, though in fact the weight was all slightly forward of the CoG/pivot point over the axle, as the Zuca handle had to go between the back of the Zuca bag, and the rear of the shelves. That said - the Zuca cart was always intended as a very lightweight cart, for job requiring greatest portability, but still in a cart form.

Currently I am looking at making a kind of drama strength bag kit, for a trip abroad. It is, in fact, tomorrows job!!!! I have a vision of a kind of X shaped trestle thing, like the suitcase stand thing that you sometimes get in hotels. I can then heave the bag to wherever we are going, open the trestle thingy, and plonk the bag on it!!

Have a good  think about that axle placement thing - I would have thought that 50mm could make a huge dofference. If you fashioned some kind of shelf in the 50mm between the wheels you'd have a great shelf for the bottom of boom poles to sit on ;-)

Kindest regards,

Simon B

• 5 months later...

We are pleased to announce that Professional Sound Services (www.pro-sound.com) will be stocking all SOUNDCART.TV cart models. 

Store demo models will be arriving in a few weeks (as quickly as we can build them and send them over). 

Compact Bag Cart from $1275
Production Sound Cart from $1995

If you'd like further details, including pricing of the optional accessories available or you wish to beat the rush and place an order, please contact your local PSC branch!!