Tentacle sync review and comparison

RadoStefanov

I have been testing the TentacleSync jam box for the last 2 weeks. This is a review comparing it to the MozeGear TigQ28 and Denecke SB-3 

This is what I found: 

Accuracy: 

All 3 jamboxes are accurate between .5 and 1 frame over 24 hours.  

Size , Weight and Build quality: 

The denecke SB-3 is massive. Unless I need wordclock I don't see a reason to have it. Camera operators are aware of all the new smaller alternative and always complain about the size and weight. Especially problematic when I put a MozeGear TigQ28 on one camera and SB-3 on another. The SB-3 is build like a tank. 

Moze Gear TigQ28 is small and slim. It is easy to find a place to attach on camera without obstructing the camera operation. It is build like a tank and I never worry if it gets dropped/ 

Tenticle sync is smaller then the TigQ28 but fatter. It is extremely lite which makes it easy to attach everywhere.It is made from plastic but seems to be strong enough. Since it is so lite I doubt drops can damaged it. 

Difference: 

All 3 jamboxes are very different from each other and offer unique features on their own. The Tentacle Sync is a lot different then the Denecke and mozegear. I have heard a lot of people disliking the lack of screens but personally I don't mind it since the jam boxes are connected to cameras that can show you the timecode information. 

Denecke SB-3 has wordclock. The TC Out is locking BNC that ensures constant interconnection.The settings are adjusted with a screwdriver and if you ever don't have one it can make it impossible to adjust. the TC output level is not adjustable. 2 AA powered and low battery light indication. 

TigQ28 has 5 pin Lemo and locking 3.5 plugs. Like the SB-3 it stays always connected and gives me a peace of mind. Like the SB3 it needs screwdriver to adjust. The TigQ28 has adjustble TC level out and can be used to combine LTC and Sound in the output. An useful feature for DSLR and the SONY FS7 which is getting very popular lately. The TigQ28 can also show you the time code value with series of flashes. It works on 2 AAA for over 14 hours and has low battery indication. 

The Tentacle Sync is the newest of the bunch.Considering It was crowd funded and the company's first product the Tentacle Sync is very impressive. It is totally different unit then the rest. 

The Tentacle Sync holds internal Timecode even when it is off. I like that feature. I can power on a unit and use it as master without the need to be jammed by a recorder. I believe all TC devices should have RTC constantly running when they are off.  

Another innovative design is the internal microphone. Great for DSLRs and even Red and C300.  

The TS is set by a computer or in the future by a phone. You can name devices and adjust TC and sound output level. 

The bottom side has an integrated VELCRO and there are different color rubber bands to identify devices.

Tentacle Sync has a very innovative and impressive battery system. The lithium-polymer battery can run for 40 hours and it only needs around 1:30 hour to charge. It uses USB charging by computers , cell phone chargers and even Nomad. The main reason I got interested in the Tentacle sync is the USB power. I use it as a master clock connected to my zaxcom recorders. TenticleSync says the battery will be replaceable but it might involve sending it back to the factory.  

Where can Tentacle Sync improve?  

The one major CON is the non-locking connector. And while a brand new unit has a very strong female 3.5,  locking connector is a MUST HAVE "ask erxX00 users"! Since the jambox can be set from computer a TC delay value adjust will be nice.

Overall the tentacle sync delivers a cheap , innovative and reliable product that can appeal to everybody from the pro to the student filmmaker. The computer interface makes it a lot more user friendly for beginner filmmakers and I can see it becoming popular with not only sound mixers. The company also provides syncing software "OSX only" and build a very good quality cables. Considering this is the first Tentacle Sync product, the company enters the market as a very strong competitor and we can all look forward to their future designs.  

P1070293.JPG

P1070299.JPG

Edited by RadoStefanov

I would agree 100% with your review the lack of the locking connector is what made me not want a Tentacle Sync. My TigQ28 have all been flawless and I enjoy the robust Lemo connector. The support from Mozegear has been great too. 

Mozegear is a great company. Their support is great.

TigQ28 is  my favorite JamBox and I don't see this changing anytime soon.

I would love to see them implement USB charging like their phantom power and MicPre products.

Edited by RadoStefanov

I recently had a last minute, 3-Red shoot, in which I scrambled to assemble TC from my brilliant and flexible colleagues.

Day 1-I ran (1) Tig, and (2) Tentacles, all synch'd from my 702T. On set DIT stated that all 3 cams were out of synch with audio.

Day 2 & 3- I rented (3) SB-T, and things moved smoothly from there.

Obviously anecdotal, but theres something nice about falling back on the "tank" SB-T, and having everything resolve; irrespective of where the error lies.

Best

I recently had a last minute, 3-Red shoot, in which I scrambled to assemble TC from my brilliant and flexible colleagues.

Day 1-I ran (1) Tig, and (2) Tentacles, all synch'd from my 702T. On set DIT stated that all 3 cams were out of synch with audio.

Day 2 & 3- I rented (3) SB-T, and things moved smoothly from there.

Obviously anecdotal, but theres something nice about falling back on the "tank" SB-T, and having everything resolve; irrespective of where the error lies.

Best

Sounds like an user or camera error.

I always ensure timecode is running correctly and don't wait till the end of the day to find out.

Thanks Rado for this review. I am now on day 62 with my Tentacles, and I have not had a single complaint. Sunce I read some of the accuracy tests here, wr doneven bother syncing after lunch anymore. 

I always charge one on my Meon and the other is on the camera so we can never really run out. Both are synced in the morning, so a swap over can be done in mere seconds, but it was never necessary, yet. 

Right after my first encounter with a Tentacle a couple of years ago, I begged them for a locking mini and told them that this would be the main complaint about their unit. They already knew that, of course. And they told me from then on that it would not be possible as they hadn't been able to source one that wouldn't totally blow the budget. So this may change in the future, I don't know. But instead they got a high quality Neutrik connector which has a firm grasp on the cable connector (I find the ERXs connectors much less reliable) plus their cables use right-angle connectors (again Neutrik), and if you think about it, a lot of weird things would need to happen, before cable and Tentacle would disconnect. Plus, with the unit being so small you can put it anywhere on the camera and really out of the way, so that accidental disconnect would be unlikely. It has as yet never happened to me. Still, kind of ironically, they probably would have sold many more units if they had the locking connector. 

I get around the lack of a locking connector with a bongo tie. Not the best, but it would take a seriously talented AC to knock the cable out. Also had to do the same thing on the other end of the cable on a BMCC shoot a few weeks ago to stop them knocking the LTC out of the audio input.

For the price, I love the tentacles. Haven't had a single problem with them in the few months I've had them. The sync software is brilliant too. I'm really looking forward to the imminent IOS config app.

Not yet

Hi Rado,

if you are interested, please contact one of our distributor in the USA (f.e. Gotham or Trewaudio) and they would be happy to lend you SBOX-1N for testing. Or I can contact them and ask them to contact you and lend you SBOX-1N. It is up to you. :-)

By the way, thank you for very nice comparison, we would be proud to have SBOX-1N involved!

Kind regards,

Jan Zastera
BETSO

used tentacles for one full feature - not a single problem. doing one in Budapest now, the DP and camera team could not believe the size and weight of this thing. the EP jack fits quite securely and i have not one as yet seen it come off. 

Yes but the DP and camera team already loves you. Everybody loves you including me! (:

Hi Rado,

if you are interested, please contact one of our distributor in the USA (f.e. Gotham or Trewaudio) and they would be happy to lend you SBOX-1N for testing. Or I can contact them and ask them to contact you and lend you SBOX-1N. It is up to you. :-)

By the way, thank you for very nice comparison, we would be proud to have SBOX-1N involved!

Kind regards,

Jan Zastera
BETSO

Thanks Jan,

Will take you on the offer.

To be honest, I never had problems with the right angles neutrik jacks I use on the sennheiser g2s for hops (and now on the tentacles). I understand the potential concern of a non locking connector but still I have to encounter it in the real world. On the other hand I had several times I had to bend back some Lemo connector pins from both audio transmitters lavs as well as lock it's because of actors and AC's fiddling around them self with it.