688 warning

giancarlo

Warning to 688 owners if you've bought the machine before v2.1 firmware be aware that when the firmware trial period runs out as mine did today my machine wouldn't drop into record , a message comes up on the recorder saying please download latest firmware it was nearly very embarrassing luckily I was near Wifi and was able to upgrade before the client was aware but I must question the practice of blocking the recorder from working, hoping this doesn't happen in future updates 
Best Giancarlo

Did you recently attach the CL-6. There is no such thing as a "Firmware Trial on Sound Devices products" 

yeah, sounds very odd.

latest firmware seems to be 2.01 btw:

http://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/688-firmware

the main addition that could trigger a firmware request could be this one:

• Support for the SL-6 Powering and Wireless System.

but if you haven't changed anything on your machine and one day it was working and the next it wasn't please get in touch with SD.

chris

So what actually happened here? Was it the connection of CL-6 that triggered a firmware request, Whitney?

The user had been participating in BETA testing of new firmware version 2.0 and never upgraded to the 2.1 when it was released which he should of done since he was using BETA firmware. This isn't an issue anyone should suffer unless your knowingly participating in BETA software updates. According to his posts on face book the machine warned him of this too  "I did get the firmware expires warning but I didn't except the machine to not be able to record on date of expiry".  So it is really his own fault the machine told him the firmware was going to expire and he ignored the warnings and did not update. This will not happen to a regular user ever. 

The record and playback lock out behavior is working as intended and as documented when optional Release Candidate firmware has expired. The following text was taken from the 'What is a Release Candidate?' webpage:
A Release Candidate is provided for a limited period of time and as such comes with an expiration date which is displayed each time you boot up. This pop up message is also displayed if the unit is left on over midnight. You should update to the latest official firmware release before the Release Candidate expires. All functions except for record and playback continue to function in an expired Release Candidate, so it is still possible to update to the latest official release from an expired Release Candidate.

We released two official versions of 688 firmware since the Release Candidate. v2.00 was release June 26, 2015 and v2.01 was release August 21, 2015. We also recommend that the Release Candidate firmware not be used for mission critical applications. 

We lock out record and playback after expiration to ensure that the user update to the official release of firmware. The official releases of firmware may have additional bug fixes and users should always be running official releases for critical applications.

Giancarlo Dellapina 6:50pm Sep 8
Thanks for clarifying Nicholas, I hope you can understand my reasons for flagging this up to users as I believe this is a first from sound devices, and in my opinion a big mistake, why, because fundamentally I’ve purchased a recorder irrespective of firmware type I never expect it to stop being one, the consequences for someone who has either forgotten or not been able to update are potentially catastrophic….
I’m pretty sure In my case the firmware was pre installed on receipt of machine, from supplier…

pretty sure? With a claim like this, you need to be absolutely 100% sure. And when you are, you should talk to your supplier immediately. Regardless, if your machine tells you that the firmware expires soon, you need to act quickly. You must be aware that any microprocessor driven hardware is run by firmware and without that, it will not run anymore

Edited by Constantin