My Custom Sound Cart Shelf

saadasound

So, I've been spending a lot of time thinking about and designing a custom sound shelving unit that I'll be putting on the top shelf of my rock n roller or film tools upright cart. Wanted something that will allow me to keep things compact, while keeping my 788 and wireless in my bag with a CL9 addition. Wanted to be able to jump off the cart and throw the bag on as quickly as possible without recabling everything. This is what I've come up with so far...

Bottom section will have a bar with 4 NP1 slots for powering, all run parallel. NP1 cups will run to 4-pin xlr which will power my bag's PSC bds bistro. Above that will be a push-to-open shelf for the CL9 with a small slide out keyboard above it. The open section above will be for my bag, with slots on each side for additional patching. 

Eventually, I'd like to add a patch bay on the back for audio, power and RF bistro. The entire unit will be made from pine and oak, completely custom. I'll probably have some clear plexi swing doors for the front for some protection and when swung open, space for scripts. I'll also be making a velcro or button rain cover for the entire unit, with zippers along to front sides so I can roll the cover up over the bag. 

Outside of that, I've thought of other possible ideas to make it smaller, but currently planned to be 13" tall, 16" wide and 11" deep. I had ideas to add a utility drawer as well. maybe even take the power shelf out and convert it to the back of the unit in the upright position... IDK, too much going through my head!

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to know what you think so far! I'll hopefully be finalizing the design this week and beginning the build asap!

Cheers, 

Steve

788t:CL9 Shelf.jpg

Nice, Rado. Love the pelican case. What size is that? I've been thinking of doing something similar. Headed to LA for a few months on a show so looking for a compact way to ship gear out and also use to mix 2nd unit stuff. How do you have your shelves set up? I see 8020 rails, but how do they slide out?

Thanks for the pictures!

Hi Steve,

Is there a locking mechanism for the NP's, involved in the design? Or did they update the NP with a locking mechanism? The NP1's that powered the BetacamSP cameras I used, had a little door that kept them into place, and were top loaded. If not, a simple inversion of the battery distro might be the trick. 

I can tell this is going to be as nice as the saadasound Comtek Caddy.

Thanks, Rachel! As of now, the only locking idea i have is a simple velcro strip and a velcro tab on each battery. I don't want to invert them since it would probably be more prone to the elements (dust, particles, water, etc.)... we shall see. thinking of making the power distro on back removable in some way, whether I set up grooves for it to slide onto or maybe keyhole hooks. may be a bust, but I like the idea of it on the back so far.