Shipping apple box

saadasound

I have a homemade applebox that I use as boom storage on set. Working in LA for a few months on a show and am wondering if I could simply check it at the airport, or If I should ship it. If ship it, would I even need to package it? It's really sturdy so I'm not worried about it breaking at all.

thanks,

steve

Having recently worked on a doc about air travel that included some visits to the unseen parts of baggage handling, I would strongly recommend that ANYTHING you don't want damaged in transit be really well packaged.  EVERYTHING that came through the system was thrown, hard, at the wall behind the "belt", and then fell onto the belt.  I mean everything--they were only considerate of unpacked baby strollers, and the heavier the object was the harder it was thrown  Often things would fall off the belt to the floor about 3 feet below, so that's a possibility of 3 hard impacts just in one unloading process (not including what they do to the baggage in the plane's hold and in getting it onto the cart).  If your custom applebox is wood, and is something you value and want to keep looking good, I would definitely box it up and ship it.  

p

Lately I've shipping items via FedEx Ground which in my experience has reliable tracking and delivery. Cheaper than airline additional baggage and more 'civilized' handling (AFAIK). In either case, I would still put the apple in a cardboard box if you don't want the outside getting chewed up. Most of us carry-on the mixer, recorder, mics and other primary gear.