Ear buds for location audio?

Ty Ford

I don't know how I would compare them to 7506's, but I recently had to replace my earbuds and ended up getting Westone W-30's. I'm quite happy with them so far. They may not have as much of a smile curve as the 7506's though, if that is what you're used to.

I was looking for something to replace my etymotic er4p's, but with more bottom, and these fit the bill nicely. They are the first in-ears that Ive found that come close to living up to the detail of the Ety's, but again, have better low representation.

Westone has the W line (which I think is more tuned for music listening), and the UM line (which I suspect is flatter, and more tuned as a stage monitor). Both have their fans for all applications. All I can say is that I'm happy with mine.

I am a big fan of Westones as well. You have to spend the money and buy at minimum the two driver model. I have the UM 3 model but have yet to try their models with more than three drivers. 

They have to sound true, that is mission #1. Mission #2 is they have to be comfortable. The way Westones are designed, you can put tips of different sizes on them and find the best fit. There are aftermarket custom molds available, too. 

I like that I can wear them with any kind of hat, and they are a space saver when I am traveling light. I still have Ultrasones in my kit, but I really prefer the Westones.

ive got a pair of the er4s, and there's really no comparison. I was never thrilled with them- lack of low end and the micro phonics from the cables drove me crazy. The westones are in a totally different league. But the ones I have are not off the shelf earbuds, and are quite pricey. 

Worth it in my book.

I'm sort of (pleasantly) hung on MDR7506. Are there any ear buds that come close to the same sound?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

I got a custom set of in-ear monitors from Alien Ears (in Clearwater FL) http://www.alienears.com/ . As a musician I also use them in my church gig- most all big contemporary churches that use bands now seem to use an in ear monitoring system (in my experience). This is why I got a pair. 

And for work I can use them in a loud environment and protect my hearing and get great audio! I do a lot of NBAE and this year at the NBA Finals I noticed a difference with less ear fatigue. Still occasionally use the 7506's in interview situations. But my best buy last year was the in ear monitors. The only thing is no one else can use them (custom fit to your ears) so if a client wants to hear a playback and you're not set up with play back such as a video village set up,  you need to keep a set of can's close by.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey IBH,

Etymotic will replace the cables on your earbuds for a nominal fee (nominal compared to the price of new ones) they also check the drivers to make sure they're still working well.  I have three pairs and whenever a cable yanks on something and breaks, I send it in and still have a spare.

I'm intrigued by the Westones though, had not heard of them and have been a happy ER4 user for years, putting up with the fragility and microphonics for awesome isolation and a sound curve that I like for dialogue.  (and Eric, I also like the sound of Sony 7506's, if this helps on your quest for earbuds...  I really don't like the sound of the Sennheiser HD-25's- they seems really strangely coloured to my ears)

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Hey IBH,

Etymotic will replace the cables on your earbuds for a nominal fee (nominal compared to the price of new ones) they also check the drivers to make sure they're still working well.  I have three pairs and whenever a cable yanks on something and breaks, I send it in and still have a spare.

I'm intrigued by the Westones though, had not heard of them and have been a happy ER4 user for years, putting up with the fragility and microphonics for awesome isolation, incredible detail,  and a frequency curve that I like for dialogue.  (and Eric, I also like the sound of Sony 7506's, if this helps on your quest for earbuds...  I really don't like the sound of the Sennheiser HD-25's- they seems really strangely coloured to my ears)

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

ditto Brent, I am also happy with Etymotic er4's but I've never had a cable break - I loop them back over my ears to get rid of the microphonics, and that offers some strain relief when they are tugged on.  with custom ear molds I find that I no longer need to replace the filters. 

we get used to what we use, and I'm also not completely thrilled with HD25's - after using etymotics, of course.

Hey IBH,

I'm intrigued by the Westones though, had not heard of them and have been a happy ER4 user for years, putting up with the fragility and microphonics for awesome isolation and a sound curve that I like for dialogue.  (and Eric, I also like the sound of Sony 7506's, if this helps on your quest for earbuds...  I really don't like the sound of the Sennheiser HD-25's- they seems really strangely coloured to my ears)

Cheers,

Brent Calkin