Problems with a Manufacturer...

greg sextro

I am in need of some advice.

I'm having problems with a brand new piece of equipment I purchased and the manufacturer (name currently withheld) has not responded to the multiple contacts from the dealer, and has not responded to my personal contacts either.  

I am all set to publicly call them out as I can't think of any other way in getting them to possibly pay attention.  Has anyone run into problems like this?  What should I do?

Rant:

I may be old-fashioned, but isn't this part of the service that the dealer provides?   They take the unit back and refund you, they have the relationship with the manufacturer, and returning unsold, returned or broken units is one part of the contract.    (which is also abused, you should see the pallets of junk we used to get back from Costco, stuff we don't even make)

Warranty service direct to manufacturer is a courtesy that a good manufacturer provides to increase turn-around and user satisfaction, it used to be always take it back to where you purchased it first.

If the dealer gets the short end of the stick, they can choose to not stock / not recommend that manufacturer's product in the future.   Too many dealers pretend they have no obligation to be the customer's solution when a problem arises.

If the dealer gets the sale, but the return and refund go via the manufacturer, the manufacturer is over 100% in the hole (end user price is not dealer price).

The dealer won't give you a loaner while they deal with the Manufacturer?    That's what I'd expect it it's a high end item. (which I'm assuming it is because you're here).

The dealer must have a phone number for putting orders in, even it is via an intermediate distributor.   Especially if it's a distributor, saying "no more orders until this issue is dealt with" should get some traction.

Edited by Tom Duffy

In the UK, under the Sale Of Goods Act 1979, the onus is always on the retailer, not the manufacturer, to replace or effect a repair to, an item that was faulty on delivery. The retailer then deals with the manufacturer: it's his problem, not yours. However, it appears that consumer protection law isn't quite as simple in your country: see here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/

That said, in my opinion, if the unit was faulty on delivery and you can prove it, the retailer should replace it and take the matter up with the manufacturer, no questions asked.

John