Abetek Button-down Mounts now shipping

Abe Dolinger

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

Hey Abe, here's a request:

Could you make a button down mount version for the DPA Slim? Ideally since the Slim is much lower profile than the regular 406x, you could potentially reduce the profile of the mount itself as well! Thoughts?

Hey Jose! Your request will be granted, I'm working on it now. 

On 5/29/2016 at 4:40 AM, callou said:

Abe ,any contact with a French seller ?

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

I sent an email to a company called Areitec to see if they were interested but have not heard back yet.  If there's one you'd like to introduce me to, I'd be happy to contact them.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Paul Katzman said:

Hey Abe, any updates on the DPA Slim variant?

Yep, I've been testing different solutions.  The form factor of this mount is tricky for a side-address mic.  Right now I'm testing a design where the mic faces front - this keeps the size roughly the same as the COS-11 mounts.  The issue is then that you can't use tape front & center of the mount - you might as well bury the mic under a leather jacket.  I'm also still working on the compromise between firmly holding the mic in place and acoustic transparency.

Facing the grille of the mic to the side, the way the other mounts are designed, is bulky and unattractive so far.

Thanks for asking.  Would anyone be interested in beta testing the current solution (once I make a couple of revisions this weekend)?  If so please PM me your address and I'll send you one.

7 hours ago, Abe Dolinger said:

Yep, I've been testing different solutions.  The form factor of this mount is tricky for a side-address mic.  Right now I'm testing a design where the mic faces front - this keeps the size roughly the same as the COS-11 mounts.  The issue is then that you can't use tape front & center of the mount - you might as well bury the mic under a leather jacket.  I'm also still working on the compromise between firmly holding the mic in place and acoustic transparency.

Facing the grille of the mic to the side, the way the other mounts are designed, is bulky and unattractive so far.

Thanks for asking.  Would anyone be interested in beta testing the current solution (once I make a couple of revisions this weekend)?  If so please PM me your address and I'll send you one.

Interesting! I thought I understood that the Slim was end-address but perhaps I misunderstood! I'm very curious about this, I'll PM you. 

On 08/21/2016 at 2:43 AM, Paul Katzman said:

Interesting! I thought I understood that the Slim was end-address but perhaps I misunderstood! I'm very curious about this, I'll PM you. 

You understood correctly! I was fooled by the little dot on the mic body, and DPA's note that the diaphragm runs "perpendicular to the cable". In three dimensions there are two solutions to that statement, and only one is true.

This makes designing the mount a much simpler task. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just wanted to re-visit this, as I have been struggling with this mount a bit, to the effect that I stopped using it. 

The mount works well, but I have never not seen it, because the actor will always also be seen from the side. So I had to rip it out again and find something else. 

But just now I encountered an actor/costume combination which I found un-lavable, until I remembered I had this mount with me. So I put a B6 in there and stuck it on the inside collar of a t-shirt and outside of the shirt I put a large piece of piece-a-fur to stop the rubbing noise from the outer garmen. This works beautifully and is invisible, so this has saved my life (-ish) and I was happy to have this with me!