Consensus on battery standard

Richard Thomas

Just wondering whether we can have a consensus on what to call the Audioroot/Inspired Energy/RRC battery standard used by audioroot and fit into the Cantar X3 and Sonosax SX-R4+

As inspired energy and RRC have the number 2054 indicating the battery shape- would that be a good thing to call them? "2054 type batteries"? (this goes for both the longer and shorter style)

Just wondering whether we can have a consensus on what to call the Audioroot/Inspired Energy/RRC battery standard used by audioroot and fit into the Cantar X3 and Sonosax SX-R4+

As inspired energy and RRC have the number 2054 indicating the battery shape- would that be a good thing to call them? "2054 type batteries"? (this goes for both the longer and shorter style)

Although it doesn't roll off the tongue, unless we come up with a really good generic name, 2054 is the number that most manufacturers use for both the long and short varieties. I have heard the term 'SM Bus' but many batteries (and components) are SM Bus so the term doesn't really tie them down. Even manufacturers like Cell-Con http://www.cell-con.com/pdf/D90498_DataSheetBP.pdf  who use their own numbering system, if you look at their spec, are '2054 compliant'. I have a collection of Inspired Energy, RRC and Aaton batteries, all the same shape and high power density. They are all 2054s. 

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Just learned from Inspired Energy that they actually classify this type of battery as the "205x Range", which describes the shape and build of the battery. The x describes the battery's nominal voltage. For example, 2054 represents a battery that has a 14.4V nominal voltage and 2057 represents a battery that has a 7.2V nominal voltage. Lastly, there are three different physical battery lengths within the 205x range:
- NL (the large sized, 12-cell version)
- NH (the medium sized, 8-cell version, used by Audioroot)
- ND (the small sized, 4-cell version, used by Audioroot, Aaton and Sonosax)

To illustrate this, here's the full 205x range of batteries, all of which have the same shape but varying voltages and lengths (and cell-arrays):

205x.thumb.png.f3cdce5a91d1fe381315adbe0

Here's a news release describing the 205x by Inspired Energy:
http://inspired-energy.com/about/News/205x Range Release 07-01-04.pdf

Perhaps, then, it's more accurate to call this battery the "205" or "205x" battery?

This last year I've been using a V-lock plate (with an AB adapter).  With all the airline restrictions on traveling, I find it much easier to just use camera bricks, so I don't have to pack anything.  Camera ops even charge them for me at night, and PA's don't have to worry about carrying separate batteries just for me.  A little bit of extra weight but it works out well for me.  With the extra time not having to deal with batteries, I can go to the gym or swim to keep my back in good shape.