AES to USB/Firewire

Noah Timan

RME ADI-4DD AES/ADAT Converter in to RME babyface pro

You might need the D-code SB-3

Hi all, hope everybody's well.

Can anyone recommend a simple, small, lightweight interface that would accept 8-12 channels of AES audio from an external source and output to USB or Thunderbolt?  It does not need to do anything else.  Thanks in advance if you've got any ideas...

Edited by RadoStefanov

Thanks to both of you!  Rado, that might work, but I'm wondering if there isn't a more direct device that does it.  VAS, the symphony system may be a little overkill for what I'm trying to do (take 12 channels of AES and output them via Thunderbolt or USB, no A/D conversion etc).  Thanks if anyone has any other ideas...

MOTU 112D will do 24x AES over thunderbolt/AVB. It's a 19" rack and mains powered, though

Focusrite rednet D16 will go to Dante (16 channels)

Now for the obscure one (and it's quite an early AVB product so I'm not sure how well it'll play with others): Riedel Connect AVBx8 (or C8 with BNC connectors). But it says it'll run off a 12V supply

Terrenex 2D and it even supports 12VDC operation, although via a very arcane 3 pin D-sub connector.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranex/techspecs/W-TER-01

Now I've never used one not ever heard of anyone using it as an audio interface.  I have used their other HDMI capture devices for audio input into protools and it was solid, so just be warned and do some research into it before committing to that as a solution.

the other box I think was an ultra studio model but can't find it now.  My memory is either faulty or was discontinued.

MOTU also has some video centric models with AES.

http://www.motu.com/video-products/hdx-sdi-thunderbolt

There's always the long discontinued AJA IO HD with AES on unbalanced BNC (just need a Neutrik / Canare adapters or short cables just hardware adapted) but I remember driver support on that unit always a bit sketchy and AC power only.

Thanks Tom.  I think maybe nobody makes what I'm after.  I do already have a couple of 1 rack space, 10-pound, AC-powered boxes that do this function (along with others).  I was hoping that someone made a simple interface, small and light, that simply took AES audio in via standard connectors and output via thunderbolt.  No need for the size and weight for all the circuitry for mic preamps, ADCs, video technology, 48 channels etc etc.  Something hopefully small and in the 1-2 pound range.  As I said, I think maybe what I want doesn't exist but I thank everyone for the helpful suggestions!

• 3 years later...
14 minutes ago, tourtelot said:

Ohhhh!  That's a pretty awesome little box for $300US.  I wonder how it sounds?

D.

It's not supposed to matter. As long as it is build good it just transfers the digital signal from spdif/aes to USB/serial protocol. 

The miniDsp box looks great.  

I know this isn't specifically usb, but audinate makes an aes ebu interface in their avio line.  

https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio#aes3

These are especially helpful if you have multiple devices that aren't in the same rack.

You can add as many as you need, the only downside being the need for a network switch and Poe for each unit.  I use the analog output version of these and really like them.

Making a good USB device is not as easy when it comes to jitter.

I would stick with a proven manufacturer like RME who have steadyclock. 

I use their gear and even when SPDIF from motherboard the RME gear produces amazing results.

Not all digital devices are created equal especially when it comes to PC hardware interconnection.

9 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

I know this isn't specifically usb, but audinate makes an aes ebu interface in their avio line.  

https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio#aes3

These are especially helpful if you have multiple devices that aren't in the same rack.

You can add as many as you need, the only downside being the need for a network switch and Poe for each unit.  I use the analog output version of these and really like them.

Yes, not only not USB but these are specifically Dante.  If you are running a Dante rig, they are great.  I have three sets that I use for oh-by-the-ways on almost every job that the Dante rig goes out on, but if you don't have a Dante Audio-over-IP rig, these will do you no good.

D.

11 hours ago, tourtelot said:

Yes, not only not USB but these are specifically Dante.  If you are running a Dante rig, they are great.  I have three sets that I use for oh-by-the-ways on almost every job that the Dante rig goes out on, but if you don't have a Dante Audio-over-IP rig, these will do you no good.

D.

This is true.  However Dante Virtual Soundcard is $30 and makes any combination of your dante hardware act like a usb interface.  I should have mentioned that in my original post.

Okay, a couple of things about the Avio stuff from Audinate.  The first is that they only work when they are powered.  Mostly, that would mean a device that provides POE, "power over ethernet."  This can be an outboard box; there are many.  Look on eBay.  But most folks using Dante to any degree have committed to using some sort of switch to make patching of Dante devices easier.  Some of these switches have POE available as part of their feature set.  They come in a lot of different sizes and configurations; make sure you get a Gigabit switch and managed switches are preferred for a number of reasons.

Okay, now you are on your way to a whole Dante closed network, which is absolutely the bomb but will take you down a long road of a whole new education about audio-over-IP and into networking in general.  Be prepared to re-learn a lot of stuff you never knew you would need to know.  The outcome is really great but it is not without some pain.

Go start to explore the Audinate web site if you are interested.  If you just want to simply achieve the result that you sought in your OP, James' link will get you there quickly and painlessly. 

https://www.audinate.com/

D.

• 2 years later...