Km-150 and lectrosonics HM

fiore

Hey all, I'm currently on location and I'm having a bit of an issue. I'm attempting to power and Km150 with a lectro HM plug and I'm getting 0 signal. I've tested it with 2 km 150s. Both Mics work fine when cabled and the HM works fine with a cmit 5u. Any ideas?

The shorter Neumann's (KM 140, KM 150, KM 185, etc.) have sometimes been problematic with radio hook-ups. They often require reverse polarity - admittedly a tricky business if you are connecting directly to a plug-on transmitter. Try connecting with a polarity reversing cable as a test before diving into connections on the HM plug itself.

Curiously, I never had any difficulty using the longer Neumann's (KMR 81, 82), only the shorter mikes.

David

David is correct. The longer (KM81i, KM82i) are transformer-output microphones (purple badge), and thus are truly balanced. The KM100 Series units have transformerless (active) outputs (red badge), and are not truly balanced. The polarity reversing adapter should take care of the problem.

I got a UH400a Tx (earlier model of HM, but basically the same input circuitry) and a KM140 capsule, polarity reverse worked for me, but the setup was susceptible to HF interference. Specially shielded Neutrik plugs slightly improved the performance, OK for quick installations where you can bring the Tx away from the mic, but I would not use the combo on a boom rig. 

UH400a works great with the KM 184 though, that is the unibody version of the short Neumann series with the non detachable mic capsules