SMQV purchase from eBay

Peter Alongia

Curious to see thoughts about a recent eBay purchase. Picked up a smqv unit (blk20) from an eBay auction. Very disappointed with overall condition, which was not listed under item description, just marked as used. 

Heavily scratched out number on back, and sticky residue on front of unit. The lav (lectro m150) looks like it has battery corrosion on it.

Ive reached out to seller, but not expecting much, as shipping was already a few days overdue, and there was no responce when asked. 

I paid $1000 plus 20 for shipping. Am I over reacting? What would y'all do?

edit: Here's the link to auction page. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Lectrosonics-SMQV-Dual-Battery-Wireless-Microphone-Transmitter-Block-20-/171932157589?nav=SEARCH

Pics for reference:

image.thumb.jpg.eb89eca0179ebb8dfd7b4dfcimage.thumb.jpg.9c1ca7bf2e60932461f28411image.thumb.jpg.ac276ffbc0f82cf36d0849ce

Edited by Peter Alongia
Added link to auction

+1 for the above. The thing that matters is if it matches any pictures, if it you asked questions on the condition not listed before bidding/buying (for your protection),  and if it actually fully works.  if it's from a rental house,  there may well be engraving and unseen damage,  which doesn't necessarily affect performance.

I'd make sure the lectro product serial is still intact as you always want to check if you're getting stolen items.

As others have pointed out there were at least two big red flags:

1) No description of the actual unit.  This not only gives information on the unit itself, but can reveal a bit about the person writing the description.  All this listing had was a cut-n-paste from Lectrosonics sales info.

2) No photos of the actual unit.  Also remember that a single photo can still be misleading as it can be a clue that they're hiding something that would be revealed in further pictures.

For the $400 difference, I'd rather have a new unit.  One also would have the security of a factory warranty from a solid company.

On the plus side, if it doesn't work properly, file a claim with eBay and get your money back.  If it works fine, remind yourself of the skyrocketing cost of college and consider that you've just learned an extremely valuable lesson for the bargain price of a thousand dollars.

I believe P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every second." Looks like I played the fool this go around. 

Thanks all. Hopefully my experience can help someone else who's looking to pick up gear from eBay. Be cautious and smart about it, that's for sure.

It does work as it should, transmission wise. Those scratches will just serve as a reminder to always get an accurate description and pictures of said item before I click the bid/ buy button. 

So with all of that said, just got off of phone with ProSound NOLA and will get them to check it out next week.