8 Channels of Wireless with Stick Mics $499

al mcguire

No one is saying that we aren't willing or justified in paying the price for equipment we know that works. Just stop reviewing equipment without using the equipment. If you've never used a piece of equipment, don't say anything about it. Just don't.

The leprechauns gave me permission so I'll continue commenting on things -- whether I know what I'm talking about or not.

To put it in platitude form: You can't judge a book by it's cover. 

Well no, but I don't need to buy a Barbie Doll to know it's a toy. And I certainly don't need to buy its chinese rip-off to know it's a cheap toy, probably full of unhealthy chemicals. I may be wrong, of course,  but this has been confirmed again and again through past experience and articles, comments by others I trust and so on. Not necessarily about Barbie, but other somilar dolls. This is how we come to many conclusions about many things in life in general. 

If you've never used a piece of equipment, don't say anything about it. Just don't.

this would be a quiet board if anyone followed that

I assume you haven't used that VocoPro Karaoke system either. So I don't know what your point is in posting it.

I never reviewed any of these products, just made the easy no-brainer assumption that 8 channels of wireless($499) from a company that makes karaoke machines is not something I'd ever consider for my line of work.

Having used quite a few wireless systems from Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, Sennheiser, Sony, Shure and Micron to name a few, I have a pretty good idea as to how the VocoPro's would perform compared to say a Sennheiser G3. At that price I can't expect it to come even close to the Sennheiser's performance. I'm a Lectro user, so looking at these VocoPros I can't help but brush them off.

Not judging JUST from the price either. I'm judging by this company I've never heard of who specializes in karaoke.

I don't believe Al's post was intended as a recommendation to check out the system he mentioned or to suggest it as an option for our (or any other) industry. I believe it was presented as social commentary. 

Take a deep breath. Repeat after me: "Al's post is intended as social commentary and satire."

Thanks.

Whilst attending a production of Macbeth for a youth theatre company in a multi-space venue, with the three witches kitted out in low-end wireless mics, I was witness to the following:

1st Witch: When shall we three meet again

In thunder, lightning, or in rain?

2nd Witch: When the hurlyburly's done,

When the battle's lost and won.

3rd Witch: (futz, fizz, crackle) Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the wedding breakfast of Paula and Frank. Let's have a great round of applause for the bride and groom...

Maybe not a problem for Karaoke, but it got the biggest laugh in a production of Macbeth that I've heard since a blood-drenched Peter O'Toole wandered on stage at the Old Vic to utter the line: "I have done the deed."

Regards,

John

Edited by soundmanjohn
Removed unnecessary punctuation.

@soundmanjohn I've had the same experience with the $2000 Sennheiser EK 3241: on numerous channels, on multiple receivers, by multiple sound men, in an isolated environment, with IAS coordinated frequencies, and scanned by the most meticulous and technically savvy sound man I've ever met. And then I plugged a $15 USB dongle receiver into my computer and got better range. Naturally, it didn't have Sennheiser's companding and deemphasis filter, but those could be programmed in, and there is more expensive (but not $2000 expensive) SDR hardware with even better RF performance.

Seems I've fallen into the trap again. If there's anything that makes my blood boil it's arguing with anecdotal evidence. I'm going to excuse myself from this conversation, and leave with my usual plea of being cautious with your conclusions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

I think this is a "karaoke time" product -- 8 mics, 8 transmitters, 8 receivers for a low, low $995:

uhf8800.jpg

Whoops -- that was the list price. $495 from Guitar Center!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/VocoPro/UHF-8800-8-Channel-Wireless-Microphone-System-1274228066084.gc?country=us&currency=usd&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjw7aiwBRCPgdu70arX70wSJADK6iDD3fJ9zCP8B2bSxFOERGRvVDHzzis2zRyQzFZkufNYCRoCbTbw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid^102709861482-sku^1274228066084@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^49613736882

Edited by Marc Wielage

Just so you guys know, I find this particularly offensive. I do happen to sell two products that have expensive counterparts and the quality of my products in no way lacks compared to their expensive counterparts (and I'd like to create more). I pick the prices that I do because they are both fair for me and fair for you and because I genuinely believe in forwarding our craft. But I do get people who have never used either product commenting on them, based on price alone. And I do my best to kill them with kindness. But I see no kindness here and no humility. Cutting something down for no reason at all benefits no one.

Really I'm pretty upset by this whole line of comments, some from people I've come to respect. I have decided it would be best for me to leave these forums, not just for this post, but for others as well.

I do wish everyone the best.

P.S. I happen to love karaoke, and actually have a karaoke app (Android only)

Edited by NewEndian

OEM supplier, "Enping Embao".      Found via FCC search and looking at the application docs.

http://enbao.com/en/products.html?pageIndex=2&proTypeID=36025&proTypeName=UHF+Fixed+Frequency+Model

My thoughts

FM Radio circuit design is >50yrs old, designing to a cost is certainly not the main issue here.  No companding circuitry, so the dynamic range will be no better than the Hello Kitty model.   No diversity, so zero protection against dropouts.    Fixed frequencies  (there is a tunable version though) means that half of the channels will be unusable in any given location..

This particular model's manual states "compliant with new FCC rules", but lists only a Part 15 test compliance, which is not relevant for intentional radiators, so I take that to just mean that they are using the 600MHz band and not the old 700MHz band.

For its intended purpose, DJ in a hall, you can probably find 3-4 channels that work for an hour or so. 

Using the tunable version, and adding a couple more features, I don't see why this couldn't become a location recording product?

Just so you guys know, I find this particularly offensive. I do happen to sell two products that have expensive counterparts and the quality of my products in no way lacks compared to their expensive counterparts (and I'd like to create more). I pick the prices that I do because they are both fair for me and fair for you and because I genuinely believe in forwarding our craft. But I do get people who have never used either product commenting on them, based on price alone. And I do my best to kill them with kindness. But I see no kindness here and no humility. Cutting something down for no reason at all benefits no one.

Really I'm pretty upset by this whole line of comments, some from people I've come to respect. I have decided it would be best for me to leave these forums, not just for this post, but for others as well.

I do wish everyone the best.

P.S. I happen to love karaoke, and actually have a karaoke app (Android only)

I really do not see any connection between your products, (which myself and many others here use on the job) and this toy karaoke mic set. I think what everyone was having fun with, was the thought of using this on a TV or movie production.... would you?

Personally, I am not judging this product solely based on it's price.

There is absolutely no "cutting something down" or offense intended at all, just having a little fun. I really hope you stick around and keep posting on this forum and I look forward to see what you come up with in terms of future products.

Edited by Johnny Karlsson