DPA - Slim

Jeff Wexler

I don't know exactly what they are calling it but this looks like the mic that Rado Stefanov had suggested to DPA. It is considerably smaller and different orientation than their other lavaliere mics. I believe it is based on their headworn mics. I'm sure it sounds fabulous!. Thanks to Allen Lee Williams for posting this image on Facebook.

DPA-sm.thumb.jpg.0efba8990d96c80eaf7635a

Edited by Jeff Wexler

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) any pictures with this next to a 4063? 

2) just saw this: 

From now until October 18th, 2015, DPA Microphones will be giving away a FREE MicroDot adapter with the purchase of any DPA bodyworn d:fine or d:screet microphone (a value of $100)!! Please choose the adapter you would like in the options.From now until October 18th, 2015, DPA Microphones will be giving away a FREE MicroDot adapter with the purchase of any DPA bodyworn d:fine or d:screet microphone (a value of $100)!! Please choose the adapter you would like in the options.

Here are some more photos of the new d:screet Slim from the sneak peak post:

dscreet_Slim_Sneak_Peek-1.thumb.jpg.8ac1

dscreet_Slim_Sneak_Peek-2.thumb.jpg.0c01dscreet_Slim_Sneak_Peek-3.thumb.jpg.18d6

dscreet_Slim_Sneak_Peek-4.thumb.jpg.ff7f

1) any pictures with this next to a 4063? 

While I don't have a Slim to compare it, here's a quick picture I just took of my 4063 comparing it to a lightning connector:

image.thumb.jpg.f9110aa546f6898b8525394c

Edited by Jose Frias

It seems size-wise it is not substantially smaller overall than the 4060 series but it is a different, flatter configuration which should make for somewhat easier placement.

Those are my impressions as well. It does seem a tiny bit smaller in size, but mostly it seems physically flatter, which I think would indeed help with concealing.

I read the serial number on the first picture posted by Jeff to be: X03248

Ah yes sorry I just scrolled through your photos without realizing you'd switched mics to a 4063 in the last one where I could read the serial number, it looks like a black blob on my screen.

I was being over hopeful as Zaxcom TX (low voltage output) users have been left out of the 'heavy duty' ruggedized versions as well.

Edited by pindrop

It seems size-wise it is not substantially smaller overall than the 4060 series but it is a different, flatter configuration which should make for somewhat easier placement.

It is a lot smaller

Ah yes sorry I just scrolled through your photos without realizing you'd switched mics to a 4063 in the last one where I could read the serial number, it looks like a black blob on my screen.

I was being over hopeful as Zaxcom TX (low voltage output) users have been left out of the 'heavy duty' ruggedized versions as well.

it works fine with Zaxcom in normal environment.

Edited by RadoStefanov

The mic sounds great. Very natural sounding. I really like the sound of this mic. Rado was one of the main forces making this DPA lav happen. He was kind enough to share it with myself and Jan. I was also able to share it with a few others. I am looking forward to adding this mic to my package. Since it did not have a real name other than the Beta DPA Lav at that time, a lot of us started calling it the Rado Lav. 

Whit

Looks interesting. Looks like they basically made a more fitted cap/body for the actual 4060 membrane, which is flat too. But I might be wrong.

You are not wrong. This is exactly what they did.

The mic sounds great. Very natural sounding. I really like the sound of this mic. Rado was one of the main forces making this DPA lav happen. He was kind enough to share it with myself and Jan. I was also able to share it with a few others. I am looking forward to adding this mic to my package. Since it did not have a real name other than the Beta DPA Lav at that time, a lot of us started calling it the Rado Lav. 

Whit

Whit,

You and Jan were just as much responsible for this mic as me. (: Your input was very important.

I believe DPA called it D-Slim

This sounds and looks very interesting! Thanks Rado et al for making DPA do this!

I am curious about this snorkel thing: what is it exactly and how can it not affect the sound in the most horrible way?

It does not. It is a little tube that goes on top of the capsule front. Works very well.

Very soon DPA will have more info and detailed pictures.

I've been using the new DPA D:fine head mics since they came out a couple of years ago. I've used both the directional and omni version for conference sound and TV productions - with great success.

They sound mighty fine and the lav version will most likely sound equally great.

Compared to the old capsules, it's basically "extra everything" - except for the plosives that are tighter and less intrusive. Very natural sound and the directional mic is not as sensitive to placement as the old 4088. The new might pick up a little more room, but it's better sounding off-axis, so it's not a problem. It also less sensitive to the proximity effect.

The added definition in the mid-range and close placement to the mouth makes the sibilant sounds more prominent compared to 4066/4088. But they are tighter and better sounding and easy to take down with a deesser. In lav position the sibilants won't be a problem, me thinks.

I'm excited about the lav version and the next time I order lav mics it will be the new version.

I've worked with most professional lav mics, and I always come back to my DPAs - best sounding lavs on the market. :-)

Cheers

Fred