MKH60/416 again Piano PIA-1

chrisyking

So I need some help making a decision cos I'm rubbish at that.

I have an MKH60 and I'm about to spend the 700 quid on a Cinella PIA-1. I'm having last minute doubts about whether to swap the 60 for a 416, before I commit to the PIA-1. I've been using the 60 for years. I like it because it is slightly wider than the 416 and good for running into a room and grabbing the action.

My question is this. I know a number of people have gone from the 60 back to the 416. If anyone has done this could you tell me what it was that made that decision? I know the 416 can be better at picking out an individual in noisy situations, but were there particular events while recording that made any of you make the jump? I have read the other posts on this but none of them have really said specifically what the problem with the MKH60 has been. Like was there a particular noisy shoot where the MKH60 failed to do the job?

My solution might be to buy both mounts and mics, but I just wanted some last minute opinions......

Thanks chaps. Love this forum.

Chris

i think the main reason for getting the 416 is the ruggedness.  other then that, some might prefer this mic and others that. depends on work requirements and other things.

personally i'd probably get a mic which has different characteristics from your MKH60, like a CMIT or a 4017 unless you need to intercut the two (and then you'd probably best of to use two identical ones)

I preffer the MKH 60 rather than the 416, which sometimes sounds thin on interiors, and off axis is terrible. It also has proximity effect problems. It surely is really rugged and wont go bad on you, even on terrible humid conditions, but if your choice is based on that i really doubt a 60 will let you down. It has never let me down.

As Chris mentioned, you should save your money and go to another kind of mic. i personally own a MKH 60 and my next purchase is the CS3e, while the 60 will stay as backup mic and also stereo rig together with a MKH 30.