What´s your SD 744t workflow?

patoggt

In February i sold my SD 702 a bought a 744. Since then i m constantly trying to find the best way to use it (of course for the kinds of jobs i do: Documentary, Advertising and Interviews)

I have the 442/744 combo. I m trying to find the best way to keep the scene and take name while shooting, but (correct me if i m wrong, i read many times the manual) i cant find the way to quickly change the scene number. 

Is it worth to buy a keyboard to log notes? Does the keyboard let you make a scene shortcut?

Do you have special shortcuts you prefer? 

I recently found about the bread crumbs in the menu and i m loving them!

Thanx for the advices!

Ps: looked in the internet all the info i could find about the 744 but now everyone is talking about the new gen SD...

STOP + FF will advance the scene to the next letter (i.e. from scene 1 to scene 1A).  Pro tip: erase all of the scenes that have accumulated and rewrite all new scenes starting with 1 and go to say 70. Then you can scroll in numerical order to get to the desired scene #, and then add a letter as needed. Above all those scenes I add the names of all the productions I work on so I can use that name, plus the SR#, as my slate file name.

I find it faster and more accurate to just edit the scene name with the side-wheel (if in a bag).  If the bag is sitting on a cart etc I hook up a keyboard via CL1, which allows for hotkeys etc and is much easier for entering metadata notes or pre-entering a bunch of file names.  I have the same keybd I've used for many many years, one of those squishy roll-up types, it seems to be one of the few that work reliably w/ the early 7xx recorders (used it with a 702 many yrs ago as well).  The CL1 with adapter (usb A to PS2) is clunky but it works--I roll it up inside the keybd and put it in my run bag.

p

Daniel STOP + FF in the 744 is for takes not scenes (unless there is a way to change the shortcut). Thats why i ask, because takes i can edit pretty fast, but scenes no.

Philip when you say you edit with the side-wheel you mean you go all over the menu and change it manually? I dont do cart work, but do you think it could be handy to use a keyboard when working with bag? 

Thanx both for your answers!

I go to "scene name" in the menu (it's one of first handful of menus to come up), pick an existing scene name and edit it.  Pretty fast, not instant, it is true.  I sometimes have to get things to slow down a little on set so I can get a name entered.  Then there is the issue of trying to compress stupidly long and complex scene names into the # of char avail….   No, I'm not a fan of using a keybd in a bag rig while I'm wearing it--I don't have enough hands to use it very well and it's really in the way on a small rig.  I prefer to scribble notes on a piece of tape or a notebook and enter the data later (when I can have a keybd hooked up).  

p

There's also a menu shortcut mode. You can "favorite" menu items when they're highlighted in the main menu screen by holding down the play key until a dot appears at the far right end of the menu item. Deselect by holding down the play key as well.

Once you have some favorites you can move between them in the main menu screen with the FF and REW keys. 

Best regards,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

There's also a menu shortcut mode. You can "favorite" menu items when they're highlighted in the main menu screen by holding down the play key until a dot appears at the far right end of the menu item. Deselect by holding down the play key as well.

Once you have some favorites you can move between them in the main menu screen with the FF and REW keys. 

Best regards,

Jim

Never knew about this shortcut. Gonna try it out today. Thanks, Jim!

• 1 year later...
On 01/10/2015 at 4:59 PM, Jim Gilchrist said:

Best regards,

Jim

This is great! Was trying to find out how to make customizable shortcuts on the 744 then stumbled upon this. Perfect.

• 2 weeks later...