Boom Operator video on YouTube

Jeff Wexler

I'm trying to locate a video I watched awhile ago that was a behind the scenes video showing a Boom Operator (not in the US, maybe France?) booming an elaborate scene going from room to room, going through doorways, etc. Does anyone remember seeing this and where I can find it again?

I've seen Don Coufal [Jeff's guy} Do much more amazing booming than that. Hard booming is when you have a dinner table with ten people and three fairly tight cameras and the scene is ten minutes long.That's done all day long on TV.----Oh,and a chandelier or two.

J.D.

Edited by jrd456

It's great to see these booming vids. There are not many of these videos around. When I was booming I always really enjoyed stedicam shots. And as an aside, long shots are always easier when you are moving around.

One of my favourite memories of booming was a job early on when I had taken on the position of boom operator for the mixer who trained me up as their sound assist/2nd. And we had one of those dinner table scenes, the camera was on a semi circular track jammed in a corner, so lots of tight squeezes. and everyone around the fairly large table in a robust conversation. One schoeps over the top, no radios. 

When the shot was complete I looked over to the mixer and he's jumping out of his seat (not always a good sign) but with a big smile on his face and telling the director how good it sounded.  

It was great to have that sense of accomplishment when I was young and keen to do well for someone I respected.

No disrespect to the Spanish guy, but the Hugo video shows superb technique. Smooth, fluid moves through tight spaces. That move under and around the chandelier is outstanding. These are the kinds of setups that make boom operating one of the best jobs on set.

I agree. And I think if there had been a camera following the boom op and camera op it would look even more impressive

..but does he have a spectacular man bun like that Spanish guy has?

no his head is shaved and he looks like a biker..and gets it done with departmental respect on set ..old school boom op.actually he collects Harleys and Basses...an English Biker in Cali.

but seriously the best boom technique I've ever seen..when doing lowly commercials with me.I'm not worthy lol.

• 1 month later...