Mounting a Zaxcom RX on an Arri Amira

Jamesg

I'm looking to find a means to mount my Zaxcom RX900 camera hop onto an Amira. I know there is a mount coming out to attach a slot in RX (SRb etc) to the battery plate, but nothing as far as I know for the Zaxcom. What I'm ideally looking for is to mount a plate via the 3 screw holes just above the XLR inputs (see pic). I believe Hawk Woods have made custom mounts in the UK, but I'm LA based and ideally need something by the end of the week.

I spoke to Mike at BEC this morning and he has some great ideas for an "L" shaped plate that will attach to the standard BEC zaxcom box, and that would be an ideal solution, but it's going to take him 3 weeks. I already have saddle bags, cold shoe mounts, etc, etc, but it'd be great to find a neater solution.

No luck with the usual suspects (Trew, Location, etc) here, so any ideas would be welcome!!

2014-03-19-AMIRA-right-back.thumb.jpg.e5

Amira_right_side_schematic.thumb.jpg.605

I think that's what I'll end up doing this time round (well, the BEC version), or side mounting via a saddle bag if the cameraman prefers… Just wondered if anyone's seen the specific mount I was mentioning. 

I said to Mike at BEC that I'm sure several people would be interested if he can make it work...

True. If you're going in line level, you have to attenuate -10dB - I'm pretty sure mic in is ok, but I'll see when I get my hands on the thing.  I do know that they have updated the boards in the newer cameras, and I believe issued a hardware update, but as to whether the owner/operators of these cameras will want to stump up the $$$ to fix a sound issue...

Ideally, you want to send an Amira a reference signal with about 12dB to 16dB attenuation from 0dBu.  The original Amira maxes out at +8dBu, so a -10 attenuation would give 18dB headroom maximum.  With a 12dB attenuation you can have the 20dB headroom that we usually strive for.  At 14dB attenuation, you have a couple more dB headroom for good measure.  That should be sufficient, as the mixer you're sending from probably hits its "brick wall" at +20dBu.

You can differentiate an updated unit in the audio settings, as it will have a +24dBu max choice in addition to the +8dBu max setting.

James can I join you in purchasing some plates from BEC? I'm also based in LA. I want to get 4.... 

I'll find out what the deal is soon RE costs for fabricating a special plate. I'm looking for something that will specifically mate to the four screws on the BEC zaxcom holder… but yes, absolutely. I"m sure if Mike knows he's going to sell a few of them it'd offset the R&D costs.

I worked with an Amira today that had an upside down L bracket.  I unscrewed two round plastic-covered thumbscrews that hold the side plate to the top portion, plugged in the mic cables and reinstalled the side plate, then mounted an RX200 in a protective case to the side plate -- no big deal.  Unfortunately, I don't have the brand or model number of the plate assembly, but it worked well.  I powered the RX from the Amira's 2-pin 12v. output (it also has a 12v. 4-pin Hirose output), and fed the camera two channels of audio as well as time code.

Sweet!

I've been talking to Mike at BEC too and have sent him some Arri arms and a cheeseplate so he can create some Arri 3/8" mounting options. For anyone interested in BEC, Mike is open to customizing options to fit your needs. I'm getting several items from BEC but one I'm getting is a BEC camera bottom plate #1 and replacing the 1/4-20 with Arri 3/8 including the registration pins, then you can mount any standard BEC cases to it. I believe the Arri patent on their 3/8 interface has expired and companies like Wooden Camera are starting to create camera accessories with the Arri 3/8 pattern, which i think will become much more common within the industry on all camera kits (not just Arri). As someone who does sound and/or camera work, the registration pins are a must have because a 1/4-20 will usually rotate a bit and annoy the $#]+ out of me and velcro is even worse. When I dial in my setup I'll share with JW. 

Edited by Matthew Marzano

what protective case are you using?

The one I used yesterday was a Case Logic GPS case that I modified by removing some of the insides, and adding Velcro straps.  I don't have time to shoot pictures right now, so that will need to wait. 

The other case I found that works better than one might first think, is a Comtek P-11 case -- the version with the belt loop and Velcro-fastened flap.  It's a tight fit (and it might even damage the case, so you need to proceed carefully) but the RX200 will fit right up to the battery cover screw and the flap nests between the antennas.  I removed the belt loop and covered the back with Velcro.  It can now fasten to the side of a camera with the Velcro, fasten to one of my cold shoe mounts, or even Velcro to the side of an Anton Bauer plate.

The Comtek case version makes for a smaller overall package than does the Case Logic one, but the latter offers even better protection.

I've been talking to Mike at BEC too and have sent him some Arri arms and a cheeseplate so he can create some Arri 3/8" mounting options. For anyone interested in BEC, Mike is open to customizing options to fit your needs. I'm getting several items from BEC but one I'm getting is a BEC camera bottom plate #1 and replacing the 1/4-20 with Arri 3/8 including the registration pins, then you can mount any standard BEC cases to it. I believe the Arri patent on their 3/8 interface has expired and companies like Wooden Camera are starting to create camera accessories with the Arri 3/8 pattern, which i think will become much more common within the industry on all camera kits (not just Arri). As someone who does sound and/or camera work, the registration pins are a must have because a 1/4-20 will usually rotate a bit and annoy the $#]+ out of me and velcro is even worse. When I dial in my setup I'll share with JW. 

waiting patiently on this setup.

• 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, RadoStefanov said:

There is a plate that mounts over the xlr that every self respecting Amira operator should own....

this is the plate my friend uses.

I also use rubber straps in addition to the Velcro. 100% secure running and gunning.

2.75 in by 5 in
5.5in by 5in

there is even a bigger plate but I don't know the dimensions.

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg