Putting new mix tracks into a Polyphonic recording

Bubu

There's a couple of standards, but no 1 standard.  For narrative I do mix on 1, safe mix on 2 (-6dB), and ISO 3,4,5... I like first 2 tracks being mix tracks so if the poly file is played on a consumer player (QuickTime for example) it will audibly just play the first 2 tracks by default, which happen to be the intended mix.  For projects that require a split mix, mostly unscripted television or doc work, same as above but A and B mixes on first 2 tracks.  As long as your mixes are first, I think your golden, up to you how you organize everything else, but as Jan says, consistency is very important.

• 4 months later...

Mix Injector seems fantastic! The other utilities seem useful, as well.
Perhaps a master application that combines some of these could be useful, and even worth paying for.

I wonder how complicated it might be to add a very simplistic mixer with level automation. Or even just an "on/off" or "dim" command at a particular timecode for each track so your newly created mix-track can just combine the actual dialog and avoid open channels of noise.
This is clearly what you'd do when creating a live mix to print to a mix track, but since this application was mainly built to create a mix track from just iso tracks, it could be a quick way to piece together a mono mix on set for dailies (which again, it seems the app was build for).

Additionally, the ability to split files into new takes at a particular time could be useful. Like if I grabbed a sudden room tone at the end of a take and wanted to split it into a new poly file that was named and easily spotted by an editor.

Finally, as mentioned previously, an ability to rearrange tracks to a new poly would be extremely useful.

Anyway, just some ideas. The app as is seems like a nice addition to my workflow. Thank you for it.