cant understand.. if someone can help

bigyna

i have an imac intel processor one, 2.0 ghz, 1 gb ram... i m running protools le 7.4 with an mbox 2 mini,  wen i m using rtas plugins, wen more than two- three plugins, E.G. GUITAR RIG, it gives an error, IT SAYS

YOU ARE RUNNING OUT OF CPU POWER, ELASTIC AUDIO PROCESSING COULD NOT KEEP UP, PLEASE SWITCH ELASTIC AUDIO TRACKS TO RENDER MODE, DISABLE ELASTIC AUDIO PROCESSING, OR REMOVE SOME RTAS PLUGINS (-9403)

also at times it says,

INCREASE BUFFER SIZE IN PLAYBACK ENGINE and things like that, not being from too much comp background, dont know what all these mean, and what can be the reason behind these..

Can anyone enlighten me?? THanks..

I am no expert but I do know that ALL Digidesign stuff, particularly with the use of lots of plug-ins, makes incredible demands on the computer CPU. There is an art to configuring the buffer size and so forth to maximize the stability and efficiency of ProTools and there are times when your particular Mac is just not up to the task. a Mac with 2.0 ghz processor and only 1 gb of RAM is not exactly a powerhouse system. After playing with the setup parameters if you are not able to get adequate performance you may have to consider upgrades to your host computer --- adding RAM never hurts and is easy and cheap to do. Hopefully you have Digi documentation for ProTools that can help you configure your system so that it performs as well as it can.

-  Jeff Wexler

As Jeff said, you will want to get more RAM and experiment with your settings.  More RAM will allow you to increase the buffer size.  Also you want to be sure you not running any programs other than protools.  Make sure your mbox is plugged into the the computer and not your keyboard port.  Additionally, you will probably want an AC powered external drive to keep the music files.  Typically, Macs do not like to have the program on the same drive as the data for high demand and constant usage data.

Robert

fyi, there is a forum for digidesign pro tools users:  duc.digidesign.com

in PT, go to the "Setup" menu and go to "Playback Engine"

try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size"  this should make it so you can use more plug-ins.

i am unsure about the elastic audio error.  i haven't used elastic audio yet.

go to the PT forum and look there.

good luck,

-greg-