Thoughts on the Zaxcom RX200

Dredust

• 2 weeks later...

The rx200 saved me today. 

I was working with a c300 outfitted with an Anton Bauer plate with a D-tap that I usually power my qrx from. I show up this morning and the DP is all excited that he just added a new view finder to his rig. The problem is the viewfinder is powered off the same anton bauer battery as the camera and monitor and it created a huge ground loop to the system which went away if the viewfinder was disconnected.

But of course he "needed" to use the viewfinder and it was my problem for find the solution. 

So I pulled out the rx200 threw in 4 lithium batteries and all is good - no ground loop. Almost an 11 hours day (with the rx200 powered down for lunch) the lithiums were still going strong at wrap.

I was working with a c300 outfitted with an Anton Bauer plate with a D-tap that I usually power my qrx from. I show up this morning and the DP is all excited that he just added a new view finder to his rig. The problem is the viewfinder is powered off the same anton bauer battery as the camera and monitor and it created a huge ground loop to the system which went away if the viewfinder was disconnected.

But of course he "needed" to use the viewfinder and it was my problem for find the solution. 

So I pulled out the rx200 threw in 4 lithium batteries and all is good - no ground loop. Almost an 11 hours day (with the rx200 powered down for lunch) the lithiums were still going strong at wrap.

that's impressive.  Awesome 

• 3 weeks later...

is there a bracket and sleeve made for the rx200?  one annoying  thing I have found so far is the power connector is different than those on the qrx series

For power it does use the shorter shank switchcraft 760k

Still 2.5mm so your other power cables will work, they just won't lock.

The qrx235 saved me today.

I just put a inspired energy half battery on it.

Worked great.

The qrx235 saved me today.

I just put a inspired energy half battery on it.

Worked great.

I'm sure it did.

But my point was I didn't have to mount an external battery on the camera with my receiver. I often get enough flack from shooters who barely want a receiver mounted on the camera let alone a battery pack attached. I ran the RX200 all day on a set of batteries and I didn't have to worry about them.

...and a shoelace saved me the other day 

I've always thought the shoelace never gets the credit it deserves.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the replies, and the info regarding the length of time internal batteries will last!  

I have two more questions.. Will the RX200 receive timecode from the Ambient Tiny Lockit?  And which transmitter/transmitters are you using?

The RX200 receives TC embedded in the audio signal or RF. So no it won't work with the ambient Tiny Lockit.

When using it as a wireless camera link I am using the the CL. Have also used it with a TRX742 for wireless boom. It will work with all the new Zax TX. Not sure how backwards compatible it is. If you require two channels you will need a stereo transmitter.

5 hours ago, Nate C said:

The RX200 receives TC embedded in the audio signal or RF. So no it won't work with the ambient Tiny Lockit.

When using it as a wireless camera link I am using the the CL. Have also used it with a TRX742 for wireless boom. It will work with all the new Zax TX. Not sure how backwards compatible it is. If you require two channels you will need a stereo transmitter.

The RX200 is completely compatible with all Zaxcom transmitters - regardless of how old.