Loon or Ambient pole

Jeremiah Sheets

I'm looking for a new light-weight pole that fits within a particular size range. Both Ambient QX 565 and Loon SLOON6 (or possibly 9) fit my needs. Looking at the below thread I see that Panamic is a very popular choice as well, but doesn't quite fit my size requirements. Some people really like Ambient, but it looks like the locking collar might not be the best. Loon seems very good, but I may or may not have issues getting one shipped?

In any case, given the option of Ambient or Loon, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks.

If you can lay hands on the Loon pole you wish to buy before handing over money, you'll probably love it.   Ordering one and getting it delivered has taken wildly varying amounts of time in recent years.  I am not sure what their delivery timetable currently is.  But I like them very much.  I also like Ambient, and think you'd be happy if you want an internal cable capability.  Panamic's are excellent external cable booms.

Edited by Christopher Mills

I think you should have customer service as a huge consideration in making your purchase.

Remember that poles can get a lot of wear and tear, and even with great care, they will need servicing eventually. Now, while I've never handled a Loon pole before, I have heard wonders about them from people whose opinion I respect very much, but I have also heard horror stories about Loon customer service. Essentially, that it's a one man operation, and sometimes you can get a hold of him, and sometimes not. That right there is something that holds me back from ever even considering Loon at all, especially for a tool I depend on heavily on a daily basis.

My 2 cents.

I prefer the locking collar of Ambient boom poles over all others.  It is very smooth, easy to adjust without much handling noise, and doesn't need to be cranked tight to have a firm grip.  I also prefer the smaller diameter of the pole itself, it's more comfortable in my hands.

+1 try before you buy

Ambient is great but I prefer the locks on the Panamic, they feel more mechanic and greasy compared to Ambients hard turning locks, you can almost turn the Panamic lock with your thumb. Ambient also feels a lot more stiff when extended compared to the Panamic which flexes and arches down and along with the nylon handles on the 1st section, its definitely the quietest boom I have ever used.

I love them both but I only recently bought the Ambient 565 for the inner cable option which Panamic does not have. I think the Ambient made a better small documentary pole that fits in my case but Panamic is definitely of higher quality. 

I have no idea about the Loon, almost non existent around here which would make it very hard to get fixed even if I did manage to get one, but it definitely looks very good on the webpage. 

Never had the pleasure to try the Loon poles. Ambient QS user here and being very happy with overall quality. I have the big one (5.20m). Also Ambient makes and small one (3.45m) with internal straight cable (not coiled). Not sure for ENG type of work with QS, but maybe it's just me.

- Lightweight
- Screw Locks

are the strong points of QS

Don has been very responsive in recent emails, which is a good sign. He says he's personally testing a 10' pole in the lid of a Pelican for me and would even shim it a little for $50 if necessary to fit.

I've heard stories about support, but at the very least this email exchange has been highly promising.

Edited by Jeremiah Sheets

I bought through pro sound.  Through Justin Ditch. 

I had heard orders went smooth through them.  Got mine a few days later.  Super light weight.  The wing option fits the 742 perfectly. 

Real nice.  Wish I got the 10ft that fits a pelican though.   Tsa is off and on with boom poles in general.  

• 1 month later...