Loudness and -20 tone

Werner Althaus

Just wondering about how to handle the 60 seconds of tone (-20dBFS/ roughly -20LKFS)  and 30 sec of silence before the program starts when measuring/ correcting loudness to a target value of -24LKFS. The 1770-3 standard gates for silence but doesn't ignore tone so the integrated loudness will be skewed by that tone if included in the file to be measured/ corrected. I'm mixing close to -24LKFS by ear, doing what I've always done but I want to include a render for loudness to get as accurate as possible using RX5's loudness tool. If I include tone in the file (like I always did in the past)  it'll turn down the audio because there's 1 minute of "content" (tone) that is 4 dB too loud over time, not good. On the other hand, the guys doing the layback want tone included in the file.

There has to be a standard way of dealing with this by now.

Thoughts?

Good question.  One option would be to include tone in a separate file.  Another would be an abbreviated section of tone -- after all, digital lineup is quicker, and looping a section much easier, than things were in the linear tape days.  Maybe do both:  60 seconds of tone in a separate file, and 5 to 10 seconds at the head of the program, accompanied by a brief explanation.