Using ACTIVITY option on JWSOUND

Jeff Wexler

Lately I have been using the ACTIVITY option instead of relying on New Content > Content I Haven't Read, etc. I know that a lot of people just bookmark the New Content page, set the filters the way they want, and I do this also. Since I have to read everything, I am kind of liking the Activity Stream which is a running compilation in order of the latest posts with the facility to read the post right within the Activity Stream. I bring this up at this time because there is a major update for the forum which I have not installed, yet, that is going to make significant changes in a lot of areas. One thing that I believe is going to be dropped is the New Content routine, replaced by user configurable and trackable Activity Stream. I have played with this (evaluation test site) and it is a really good change (but will, however, require some adjustment to our daily routines).

Edited by Jeff Wexler

Dear Jeff,

I have always used NEW CONTENT as the link to JWsound...

Earlier i could click on a link that took me to the latest and most recent post, now i cannot do that, i have to enter the page and scroll down to see the latest post... 

I may not want to track activity but just check in on what's new as well as get a heads up on what transpired overnight... 

-vin

I may not want to track activity but just check in on what's new as well as get a heads up on what transpired overnight... 

-vin

Vin, when I do the update to the site, the Activity Stream is going to be a whole new routine that will provide an even better user customizable tracking of new content. I'm fairly sure it will be an improvement but I know how people get set in their ways --- it will be different than the present New Content, that's all I'm saying.

Well, I don't know how the new activity stream works, but they way it currently works it would be a terrible replcement for the New Content filter. 

At the moment it would take me to the newest entry in a topic and I'd then have to locate the post I read last. But if in the new version this works better...

As I understand it, the new Activity Stream will be totally user configurable, beyond what you now can do with view New Content filters. The Activity Stream introduced in this current software is just a list of every post or reply, any and all topics, displayed consecutively from newest to all the way back in history. I'm pretty sure the Activity Stream can be configured to show a list, for example, of all posts that I have not read from the last 12 hours, all replies to posts that I am following, newest unread posts in specific topics, etc.

'Activity' seems to be focused on who has posted leading with that, rather than where they've posted, so it's harder to see where new activity has occurred.

I'm less interested in who, and more in where new posts are, Is this configurable?

Edited by pindrop

IPB has decided to consolidate most of the functions of "New Content" into a newly expanded and configurable "Activity" stream. I haven't had a chance to actually play with it yet but I think it's going to be good. Either way, it is not our choice, whether there is a downside or an upside, the forum software publisher has decided to "update" things in this manner. I am waiting to update our site, waiting to see how it is working out for others who have updated already.