Smart Battery Shopping Guide

Ze Frias

Btw. what do you guys do when your gear needs to fly to a film-location with your big batteries (more then 100Wh)?

To feed my cart with enough power for a shooting day I have a 90AH (around 1000Wh) battery.

I have been using 8 x Inspired Energy batteries SMBus Li-Ion batteries with a pair of Ocean Server mains float chargers for 760Wh of power since 2008 as my cart power system.  

Disconnect and remove the batteries and they are legal to fly in your hand luggage as would be the case for any legal camera battery (V-Lok, NP1). 

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/1703-cart-battery-power/#comment-11702

http://www.ocean-server.com/products.html#

Edited by davidm

Good one Jose.

I am a little hurt you did not reference me in the article!!!

I am kidding. (:

Now to the serious:

All the batteries that you reference can trip when connected directly to a nomad or a maxx . It does not happen all the time but it does happen.

Especially the 89Wh audioroot and inspire energy.

If going through the smart distro there is no problem. Other distros can be a problem.

Edited by RadoStefanov

Good one Jose.

I am a little hurt you did not reference me in the article!!!

I am kidding. (:

Now to the serious:

All the batteries that you reference can trip when connected directly to a nomad or a maxx . It does not happen all the time but it does happen.

Especially the 89Wh audioroot and inspire energy.

If going through the smart distro there is no problem. Other distros can be a problem.

Rado- Fortunately haven't run into the tripping issue yet. Been using the IE 89Wh with a Remotes Audio BDS for a while now. What is the potential issue? Does the battery fail, or will the Nomad/Maxx fail for some reason?

I actually haven't had that issue either. I can power both my Nomad and Maxx directly off of my Inspired Energy batteries without anything tripping, but I do remember talking this over with you Rado, and if I remember correctly you mentioned that this could be fixed by removing a capacitor in the recorder?

Rado- Fortunately haven't run into the tripping issue yet. Been using the IE 89Wh with a Remotes Audio BDS for a while now. What is the potential issue? Does the battery fail, or will the Nomad/Maxx fail for some reason?

The Nomad trips the battery. it usually happened when the nomad was in on position. the battery takes 56 seconds after a trip.

I actually haven't had that issue either. I can power both my Nomad and Maxx directly off of my Inspired Energy batteries without anything tripping, but I do remember talking this over with you Rado, and if I remember correctly you mentioned that this could be fixed by removing a capacitor in the recorder?

Correct. It is an power noise filtering. Jose, have your nomad on and take out and plug in your 89wH a few times.

Edited by RadoStefanov

One really nice feature that I appreciate daily with IDX (and most other brand) NP batteries is the press-button LED 'status check' feature. 

Even though it's not accurate and gives no time remaining it's super useful to see if the battery is fresh or not when going through batteries on the shelf of in the case. 

Do the inspired energy batteries have this feature?

The Nomad trips the battery. it usually happened when the nomad was in on position. the battery takes 56 seconds after a trip.

Correct. It is an power noise filtering. Jose, have your nomad on and take out and plug in your 89wH a few times.

I get this issue often on my Nomad when I try and hot-swap an IE battery using the Audio Root MKII. 

Cheers,

Evan

I get this issue often on my Nomad when I try and hot-swap an IE battery using the Audio Root MKII. 

Cheers,

Evan

Evan, I know the part that has to be removed but don't want to openly talk about Zaxcom hardware. Call Glenn and ask him. He knows.

BTW the issue is not specific to IE batteries. It happens with the AR as well. I was thinking about asking IE to rewrite a new firmware but I guess it would not be cheap.