WTH??? Lectro SMQV M???

cmassey

Was handed a couple of SMQV M the other day, and lo behold the cables I use out of my mixer would not work with them...same cables work with UM400/400A/SM/SMa and SMQV!  

Just wondering????   And since I was here spending a few quality time moments, thought I would ask rather than click over to the LECTROSONICS www page.  

thanks.....cleve

The "M" is an FCC designator to indicate it was the Middle group of frequencies sample tested for FCC authorization.  They insisted we test three different ranges separately.  It is strictly a US FCC designator.  The SMQV with an M is simply an SMQV from the middle group of blocks.  Identical in every way to the other SMQV US models.  I think the M is the official government designation for "Muddling up" our attempts at simple model numbers.😀

exasperating none the less!

Don't know why your cables are misbehaving but the M is unrelated.

Gordon

Clive, if you have a cable that used pin 4 in the TA5F as a mid level line input, it would work on the older non-servo units (UM400, LM,etc.) but not on the servo units. The old wiring used pin 4 for an internal resistor to pin 3, the main audio input. Commonly, when 4 was wired to pin 2, the 5 Volt bias pin, the internal resistor became the load for the lavaliere mics. That pin 4 resistor could also be used as a mid level input.

On the servo input units, pin 4 is used only to select the operating bias of 0, 2 or 4 Volts for the servo input on pin 3. Audio on pin 4 does little or nothing.

That is one possible explanation. However, if your cables work on any servo transmitters, they will work on all servo transmitters.

Best Regards,
Larry F
ex Lectro janitor

I would ague against Larry's proposition - except I spent 30 minutes starting my MGTD last Saturday - first pull and replace the starter, then waste half the battery turning it over before it finally catches only to discover the first carburetor had a stuck jet which meant no gas to cylinders 1 AND 2.  (Carburetor two was stuck in the OPEN position allowing massive quantities of gas to clean my garage floor.) - Finally started up and ran like a demented top.  I'm jealous of the German warranty....

Gordon

Current Lectro Janitor - with greasy hands

Larry,

Good to see you pop up here again.

I feared that your massive Maine Coon's had issued an edict that you weren't to leave their presence without permission.  

When I want to leave, I've found that throwing them a side of beef draws them away from the front door.

Lef