Zaxcom TRX900CL in an adjacent block to an SRb in a bag

Scott Anderson

I'm considering a new camera hop set up and am enticed by the TRX900CL to an RX200 as it can be self-powered with AA's. The Zaxnet function with TC and IFB is also a bonus in one transmitter. My bag currently has three Lectrosonics SRb receivers in it - blocks 21, 24, and 26. I've been using block 19 for the hop with a couple SMV's to a couple more SRb receivers so the frequency separation has been fine between transmitters and receivers in the bag.

Zaxcom starts at block 20 (vs the 19 T band my hops are in now)  so I'm concerned that an adjacent block wouldn't be enough separation from the SRb block 21. Screws in the chases and a toggle switch are helpful as well as a single frequency, but my question is in your opinion or experience, would a TRX900CL on block 20 step on the reception of the SRb on block 21 in the bag?

I can't say for sure about your specific situation, but in the past I was forced to use a block 26 411 right along side my block 26 Camera link. It was the only combination that worked for both myself and the other mixer without having to rent additional gear out of pocket. We tested it the night before with a less than ideal backup plan in place in case it was unusable. We were really surprised that it actually worked fairy well with very little effect on range that we could tell. With the CL off, the 411 freq was totally clean. Switching the CL on, there was only a small extra blip on the RF meters. We were careful to tune the units on far opposite ends of the block and kept the units on opposite ends of the bag (but we didn't go crazy and find the need to remote one up on the harness or around the back or anything). We also knew that extreme range was not needed for this show (talent was almost always within 50ft of camera). It worked out perfectly in the field and we ended up doing the same setup for the rest of the show.

Your results certainly could be different, it's hard to know without giving it a try. Maybe you can borrow or rent a block 20 CL before buying just to see for yourself? But at least know that your idea isn't crazy and certainly might work for you.

If you use your block 21 at the top of its range and the TRX900CL at the bottom of its range you should be OK. This is not ideal and it would be best to keep one block of separation between each system. The TRX900CL has a 1 block wide filter designed to prevent interference to other receivers in the sound bag. The farther away the systems are from each other the better it works.

Glenn