NYC Boom OP/Utility Available

I looked on the 52 website and didn't see any info on working on permit. I know a lot of G&E that are non-union working on union sets, I'd assume they are under that statute.

Anyone have any insight on the permit/overhire list and what I should be prepared for? I'll give the hall a call next week and see what they say

Thanks

Peter

My basic understanding of the ever-changing system is:

A non-union person can work on permit ONLY if there are no union members who are available for that given day. That means that you won't know until late the night before the job if you're on or not as there will be phone calls all day trying to find someone who is actually union and can come in. And unlike set dressing where a union sound person can work as a set dresser if it's really busy, you don't really see grips/electrics filling in to help on the sound department. I've heard stories of Video guys doing it though.

As a mixer, I've hired permit people three times (2 very recently) because of how busy it's gotten. It does happen, just very, very rarely for sound. To get on that list though, you really need to have applied. The further you have gotten in the application process, the higher you'll be on the call list. However, because the rules regarding admission into the union have just changed, that aspect may have been affected as well. I'm not sure. Definitely give the hall a call and inquire.

+1 to what BAB414 says; Definitely get in touch with the office directly. I recommend you begin the application process as well, since it will probably increase your chances of getting hired on a union job. Once you've made contact with the local, contact any union sound people you know. You never know who might be looking to fill a spot... Good luck!

Karl

Recent inquiries to Local 52 have yielded the info that you have to take the two safety courses (life and another) and be duly certified in them before they will allow you to work on permit (as a non-member). You need those certifications as part of the application process anyway, so there's that.