411 vs 211 sound quality. Digital vs analog. UH400a standards

heckcareder

Hi guys. Just got my 411 and was testing out the difference between the 411 and my previous 211. 

I noticed the sound quality difference between 211 and 411. I do know that 211 is analog and 411 is digital. But I never owned a digital before so there's nothing that I can compare to.  To me, 411 sounds a little more bassy and just slightly airy (and of course quieter) compared to 211. Both are using dpa 4061. 

So the end question is, does analog and digital make any difference to the sound quality (I do know that 211 sounds warmer) ? Or is it I am just over thinking?

Also, I find that the uh400a doesn't sound as good compared to wired and G3 2000 series. I tested it on mkh416 and oktava. Both sounded a little too muddy. Is there anything I am doing wrong for the uh400a?

Edited by heckcareder

I would say all things being equal, the 411 will sound better, assuming a servo-compatible transmitter. But in truth, a lot will depend on the specific microphone used and the input settings. 

Many people believe that a wired boom sounds better than a wireless boom, but for modern productions with multiple cameras, wireless booms are a necessity just for speed and efficiency. It's fair to say this is a subjective call and not a simple subject; this has been discussed many times on the forum in the past.

I've had pretty good results using a UH400a with a 211 receiver. The noise floor is less when I use the UH400a with a hybrid receiver- with the 211 I have to be more precise with the gain on the Tx so as to find the sweet spot above the noise floor and between the peak of it's dynamic range for dynamic soft to quiet dialogue scenes, but it's totally viable IMO with a 211 receiver.

On the other hand, my UM200c transmitters do not sound good with the SRB in 200 compat mode. I had the choice of running two extra radios in the bag last night, (UM200c Tx), with either the lightweight SRB or two 211 receivers, and to my ears, they sound miles better with the 211s.

That was my experience...

I've had pretty good results using a UH400a with a 211 receiver. The noise floor is less when I use the UH400a with a hybrid receiver- with the 211 I have to be more precise with the gain on the Tx so as to find the sweet spot above the noise floor and between the peak of it's dynamic range for dynamic soft to quiet dialogue scenes, but it's totally viable IMO with a 211 receiver.

On the other hand, my UM200c transmitters do not sound good with the SRB in 200 compat mode. I had the choice of running two extra radios in the bag last night, (UM200c Tx), with either the lightweight SRB or two 211 receivers, and to my ears, they sound miles better with the 211s.

That was my experience...

how u did manage to use uh400a on 211? I can't seem to use it even though my freq are the same. 

• 1 month later...

I started with 19x-2xx Lectrosonics series, and only got my Digital Hybrid a few years ago. 

The difference is exactly like you said, more lower end frequencies on the 400 series Lectro.

Couldn't stop smiling once I heard it (paired with COS11).

As for the UH400 - I try to run wired (cabled) as much as I can and only use wireless when the situation needs it. 

That said I only use it with the CS3E. I've found that my CMC641 lost most of its magic to be used directly with the UH400.

Also, if you're not satisfied with the sound of the UH400 you can also use another preamp (SDMM1/MP1) as a front-end to the TX.

• 3 years later...

I just picked up a uh400a in block 25 for a good price and I haven't got a lectro receiver yet. I hear a clicking noise when connected to all mics but the Sanken CS3e the least. Don't think my G3 RX does it justice (but wanted to try out just to see I got a working unit), currently in compatibility mode 3 or 6 as there is no EVO compander. Hopefully it is just from not being compatible with the G3 and the reason I don't hear it in the sanken so much is because of it's high output, but it worries me. Anyone else heard of a continuous clicking noise from the uh400a? Also the clicking is changing with volume it seems. Has anyone got a compatible receiver in Berlin willing to have me come over to rule out the RX?

2 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

in block 25 for a good price and I haven't got a lectro receiver yet

Unfortunately, I am not in Berlin to help you troubleshoot this, but I can sell you a used 411a... 

I do have a UH400a and could use it without issue with a Schoeps CMIT. I haven’t used it in a while, but I‘m sure when I did there was no clicking noise

Thanks for your offer! I got some help from Kortwich, it seems with a reciever that supports the compatability mode (sennheiser 3k series and mode 3 in this case) and a short XLR in between the plugon and (atleast one of) the problematic mics, that the pulsing noise is gone.

So the plugin seems fine and I guess some of my mics are too sensitive to use (atleast directly to the mic).

What would be an optimum short cable for use with uh400? Is theoretically a bad idea to put an EMC connector on it?