Second hand Sennheiser HD 25s

Donald Kauffman

Hi there

I'm considering buying a 3 year old pair of Sennheiser HD 25 II Pro second hand for €70. I have no experience using these but have obviously read quite a lot about them. What I'm wondering is if after 3 years are they coming towards the end of their general lifespan? Anyone have a lot of experience using them?

From the pictures they look in good condition and come with with new ear pads, but I'm obviously going to give them a once over when going to buy in person as well. Anything I should particularly look out for? Parts that are more susceptible to damage?

Any advice appreciated. Cheers

Well I've given up HD25's even though when they are working they are my favorite headphones.

But they have a design fault where the tiny springs they depend on in the capsules to make contact with the spade connectors of the cables that go in to the capsules, fail. And then they become very irritating because the connection becomes intermittent. I just had to give up after 5 pairs (3 version II's)

I wouldn't buy 3 year old ones, as the consensus seems to be if you want to use them and can afford it, is to treat them as a annual disposable items, not something I'm happy with, and I know at least five other mixers who have had the same problem.

It's a great shame as when working they are very good, but for some incomprehensible reason Sennheiser with all their resources, were incapable of re-designing them satisfactorily even with version II, despite having been told about the problem innumerable times.
HD26's though heavier and bulkier are quite similar and so far, more rugged than I was expecting them to be.

Edited by pindrop

had mine for years, dragged them everywhere, tossed them in bags, lugged them around as my music headphones...

after like six years i got some occasional contact problems (very rarely though)... and then i lost them in the train.

got two new pairs, working perfectly since 2 years.

chris

Many years ago I bought two HD25's via Ebay. They sound completely different - one is still absolutely great (except from the contact problem occasionally) and the other one is only usable for "more picture orientated" people, listening on set.

You never know what you get. If you really have to make money with them, buy them new.

I had problems with the spade bits being intermittent, or popping out from time to time.  bought a third party cable from these folks and have been happy for the last 4 years.  just bought another one for my backup pair.  have one cable as pictured,  the other with a neutrik 1/4".  they also have colours,  for those inclined:

http://www.zomo.de/en/Products/Accessories/Cable-Adapter/Spiral-Cable-for-Sennheiser-Headphone-HD-25-translucent-45m.html

I had problems with the spade bits being intermittent, or popping out from time to time.  bought a third party cable from these folks and have been happy for the last 4 years.  just bought another one for my backup pair.  have one cable as pictured,  the other with a neutrik 1/4".  they also have colours,  for those inclined:

http://www.zomo.de/en/Products/Accessories/Cable-Adapter/Spiral-Cable-for-Sennheiser-Headphone-HD-25-translucent-45m.html

Thanks very much for this tip if it really solves the problem I'll be very grateful.

Although I have to admit I'm somewhat sceptical. What is it do you think about the spade connectors on these cables that overcomes the problem of the springs inside the capsule being too weak?

Edited by pindrop

Thanks very much for this tip if it really solves the problem I'll be very grateful.

Although I have to admit I'm somewhat sceptical. What is it do you think about the spade connectors on these cables that overcomes the problem of the springs inside the capsule being too weak?

the spades looked pretty ordinary.   the plastic they use around the spade is "stickier",  that the more "slippery" sennheiser connectors.  the manufacturer is on your side of the pond.  give them a call.  they are made for dj use,  perhaps there is some chatter on a dj board.  I use their cable on a pair of hd25sp as well,  (they fit better under a helmet when working on construction sites) and have been happy using them under difficult conditions. 

BTW Donald, if considering purchasing new 7506s, and budget is an issue, the lower priced Sony MDR-V6 (consumer version) HPs are for all intents and purposes, identical in design and sound to the 7506.. Except for the gold connector plug and the silk screened text stating the model # and  "Professional".

PS- I recall seeing the V6 on sale around this time last year for around $50 USD,