Sign in to follow this  
480sound

Cry Baby: The Pedal That Rocks The World

Watched the whole thing.  Great Suff. Who would of thought you could do an hour on the wah-wah, but these guys pulled it off. I enjoyed, thanks.

Watched the whole thing.  Great Suff. Who would of thought you could do an hour on the wah-wah, but these guys pulled it off. I enjoyed, thanks.

That's cool. I love docs that pull out a good story from unlikely sources. I'll watch this over the weekend. 

Watching this thing.  Much fun & memories- Thanks

I don't think it ever got better than "All Along the Watchtower".  Jimi was locked in on that one.

the best lessons i've picked is using the wah wah (aside from the funk idiom) to tamp down/add flavor/color when tracking a guitar sound that is just too generic, or, when too many guitar tracks = mud. find a sweet spot and leave it there. adds some nice grit and bite when hooked up with a good amp, (or even a crappy amp) and good distortion box, sometimes a phaser as well. run a vocal through it for an instant garage rock vibe. love these and have worn out a few as well as some Mu-trons and another brand Foxx, which was great while it lasted.

I always liked Dave Stewart's wah-wah on his opening Hammond organ solo here. And I dig how he gets out of the crazy part 1:43. Actually, I like everything about this solo. The rest of song is good...but that opening... Geez; I probably hadn't heard this in 20+ years...Maybe 30+...but it sure made an impression on me. Ah; music. :-) 

Actually, I think that Jimi and others used (at least originally) the Vox/Thomas Crybaby wah. IIRC, Dunlop built one of their own and appropriated the name (Vox hadn't copyrighted it).  Dunlop later licensed the Heil Talk Box (Peter Frampton) and currently produces it.