Working in Philadelphia

Matthew Sonnenfeld

Hey all,

So I will probably be moving in with my girlfriend in central NJ and while I will still be commuting to NY for work this move could potentially open up the Philadelphia market to me with a fairly equal commute south. So my question is, is there a Philadelphia market? Is there anyone on JW working there and how is it? Thanks!

Hey,

It's up and down. What kind of work do you do? A lot of NY and LA companies will fly in their crews over hiring locals. They stick with what they know. Same way a company that knows me will send me to NYC or Los Angeles or Utah or Texas or whatever.

Big difference versus NYC is that everyone here has a car, so our market is NYC, NJ, this half of PA, Delaware. If you're Union, that's all 52's territory as well.

There's a good amount of industrial/corporate work. I usually do that between longer jobs, but I'm not as heavily rooted in that market. I've mostly been doing doc/reality the last few years, so I disappear into that world. Sometimes for long stretches.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I do a bit of everything but I'm trying to get more into the scripted world which I know is centered in NY. Still though I have no problem doing corporates and reality or doc if the rate is right. 

That's good to know that 52 covers this territory. I am not in yet but hopefully will join in the near future if the ducks line up to make it happen. 

We just signed a lease in Plainsboro so it's about an hour each way plus traffic. How much time do you all usually give yourself to get into either city? I expect that I will have to leave a couple hours earlier to beat turnpike traffic which is fine. I'm not against napping in my car when/if I get there early or finding a diner for breakfast before call. 

I live in Philadelphia, so no choke point of a bridge or anything. The one thing you have going for you is that call times are usually before rush-hours anyway. That makes a huge difference.

I haven't worked in New York for a while, and when I did it was usually jobs that I could take a train. New Jersey transit wine goes from New York Penn station all the way to Trenton. As a Philadelphian, I would park in Hamilton and take the train into NYC. For jobs with more gear, I am usually staying in Brooklyn and going up the day before it starts.

I don't really know what it's like to come from the bridge into Philadelphia during morning rush hour. The Waze GPS nav app is usually fairly accurate.

You're also not for from that part of New Jersey where pretty much every single pharmaceutical company has a campus. Again, I don't work up there a lot, but every so often I go up there for corporate stuff. I know some people have pretty much retuned their career to work on those jobs. It's a lot of steady predictable work if you catch the right wave..... If that's your thing.