Update on Sanken COS11d va dpa

heckcareder

This is not just another sanken vs dpa thread. But rather, just curious to see how many of you prefer lav which currently.

DPA has gained quite a fair bit of interest in these few years and I do know that a lot of you guys have shifted over to dpa. 

Just wanted to know who still prefers what and why?

My analogy:

A DPA 4060/4061/4063 is similar to a Schoeps 641, as a Sanken COS-11D is similar to a Sennheiser 416.

The first two are more natural sounding, and the second two have a bit of "edge" that can sometimes cut through better.

They're all worthwhile to have and they all have their place.

I agree,   my thoughts to.  I have both,  the DPA to me is more open in the top end.  Which may be better or worse depending where it's mounted.  

DPA406x compared to the sankens picks up a little more ambient background noise but it sounds more natural and consistent then sankens regardless of where you mount it.  The 406X does not experience "or a lot less" the same sibilance garbage like COS11. DPA 406X can be cleaned on the inside. COS11 can not. The cable of DPA is thinner and less noisy. DPA microdot adapter are solid and sturdy.  Since I converted to microdot I have never had to repair a connector.

Wait a little and check out the DPA slim. It is a lot smaller then 406x and has a little different pick up. 

I have given the DPA slims to a lot of great mixers and have heard nothing but good feed back.

I am planning to convert all my talent mics to the slim and leave 406X for plants.

Thanks Jeff. I wish you were there. DPA invited you but you were working.

You were instrumental in my professional experience by turning me to Zaxcom gear .
I will send you my mic as soon as I get it back from Tom Curley.
I apologies for not getting it sooner. Initially I was supposed to get 10 to spread around for testing but I only got one.

No problem, Rado, I'm not working at the moment and I will have access to the Slim from Trew Audio if I need to get my hands on one again. Thank you for all you do, educating and promoting some of the most amazing gear we use --- pleased as well that you are keeping things in a positive place, achieving a good balance these days between criticism and  productive encouragement. Lastly, pictured below, a beautiful view of a beautiful microphone.

DPA-Slim.thumb.jpg.dd0ff47cd6250a2374ea2