Rental Issues & Needs During Traveling

VASI

Hello,

I have some questions about rental issues and needs during traveling around the world. So, I would like to hear your opinions and experiences.

- How often do you rent when you traveling outside from your territory?
- What kind of equipment are you searching?
- What issues do you have?
- Availability?

Ok, that's a lot of asking.

Thank's!
Vasileios

I generally bring everything with me from the states. It's nice to shoot somewhere where there is a rental house just in case of an emergency issue with gear, but I would hate to rely on showing up in a foreign country expecting gear to be ready and/or what you expected.  Quality and care of rental gear can vary greatly depending on country.

I rarely ever need to rent anything while traveling. I usually have all I will need plus some back ups in case anything fails. If I'm traveling in the States and I do need to rent something, I usually can call one of the usual suspects and get something shipped and delivered within 24 hours. I'll also find locals and reach out to them to see if I can rent from them.

If it's a specialty item that is rare to find and rent, then I have to manage expectations from my bosses (aka director, producers, etc).

I agree. I never rent anything while traveling. I find that it's easier to have everything already with you, and renting while traveling abroad seems like it has the potential for too many problems. I've been on productions where they tried to rent some other things while abroad and it has turned into a complete disaster. It seems that I already have enough of my plate while traveling, and having to deal with rentals would just be another thing that I'd rather not deal with if I didn't have to.

I'm going to dissent on one category: 

ESP in the developing world

POWER!  With all the issues surrounding travel with modern batteries, and the current scary climate for world travel anyhow... consider pre arranging rentable power for your kit in each country.  you should bring lots of adapters, BDS cables, interfaces,  and if you can find one of those NP1 shaped shells that hold disposable AA batteries, bring that.  I would give serious thought to Hawk-Woods BDS/interfaces for consumer sony camcorder batteries. 

Second choice: In the developed/Industrial world:  Wireles channels... esp in Japan.. pre-plan with rental houses so you have legal and pre-coordinated wireless to stay legal and effective.  You are taking a chance on the maintenance of these.. but you can check on who has a good rep through your friends in this community.