Get well Marc Wielage

old school

Our friend and fellow jwsound member Marc Wielage had a major health issue last week and I'm happy to report he is doing well. Feel free to offer Marc your best wishes. He is certainly one of our members I most admire. He is helpful, insightful, and fun to have here @jwsound. Speedy recovery Marc. I'm glad things are going well. Big fan.

CrewC

I apologize if this was already posted here. I didn't see it if it were. I left out the details because A, I don't know all the details, and B, it is Marc's story to tell. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc's write up on Facebook was one of the most amazing reads ever! I didn't think it appropriate to do any copy-paste re-posting but I will say the most wonderful part of the story is Marc survived to tell the story. Marc is a good friend and fellow worker, one of our most valued and trusted participants here at JWSOUND. We are all wishing for a speedy recovery!

Yeah, here I thought I was in good shape, and I had three (count 'em) heart attacks in a single day last Thursday. Long story short: the EMT's got me to UCLA Medical Center in time and they gave me two stents, recovered in two days, back home late Saturday night. Absolutely bizarre experience.

I had figured, hey, I work out 2 or 3 days a week at Gold's Gym, I've cut way back on rotten foods, my cholesterol is a little high (but not too high)... what could happen? But this did no good. As the doctors told me, "next time, pick better parents!" (Both of them died of heart disease in their late 60s -- almost a decade older than I am now!) But the doctors also said because I was in such good physical shape, the heart attack didn't do too much damage and my recovery would be quick.

The whole sordid tale is up on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1653176108305150&id=100008383300617

with a picture of the black wormlike object that was clogging 100% of one of my arteries. I've had significant pain on a few occasions form other minor (and brief) health issues, but lemme tell you, a heart attack is no fun. The weird symptom that I didn't expect was major jaw pain (!) and a roaring headache, on top of massive chest pressure radiating out in waves of pain to my hands and dizziness. F'in' awful. 

I'm in the process of rethinking my diet and seeing if I can get the LDL cholesterol below 100. I'm also taking a Skittles-bag full of pills every day, all kinds of blood thinners, plaque killers, stuff to help the stents heal, all kinds of things. The good news: I've got about 20% more energy right now than I did a week ago. Having low energy was one of many symptoms I had been ignoring; Mr. Deichen and Mr. Carmona will remember on our past shoots my habit of downing at least a bottle or two of 5-Hour Energy drinks on long productions. Now, it all makes sense.

Very thankful this week! I've had two or three near-death experiences in my life, and now "myocardial infarction" can be added to the list. Death doesn't scare me in the slightest. Pain, I'm not a big fan of.