Rain-noise solutions on a budget

Bartek

Hello,

I'm working on a small indie feature and in about a week we will move production (for the next 2 weeks) into a makeshift studio. The problem is that the space has a thin metal roof, and rain is on the way. I calculated that to apply 2 inch hogs hair to cover the 3400 square feet required is a cost the production simply can't handle. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any alternative materials I can use?

Bartek.

I dealt with this problem once by covering the roof with an astro turf type material we found in a Home Depot.  It worked pretty well but it was a real roof, not the tin you describe.

Alan Barker

Hello,

I'm working on a small indie feature and in about a week we will move production (for the next 2 weeks) into a makeshift studio. The problem is that the space has a thin metal roof, and rain is on the way. I calculated that to apply 2 inch hogs hair to cover the 3400 square feet required is a cost the production simply can't handle. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any alternative materials I can use?

Bartek.

Don't forget about the politics!  Submit a polite memo to all concerned departments about the possibility and cost of ADR verses treating the roof before the fact.  After they realize they have to ADR a big or cherished scene they start looking for scapegoats. *  Remember you are both a technician and a department head.  As a dept head it's your responsibility to anticipate problems and offer options, cost and alternatives to Above the Line People who make the decisions.

* I did several scenes on Warner's backlot with a noisey (is there any other kind) snow machine.  I got hero guide/scratch track but too much noise for a quiet night BG.  Despite my previous warnings my lead producer started with "But they did snow with the so and so and they didn't have to ADR."  I called up the Warners' Sound Department for the name of the fictious show-Warner's backed me up.  It helped that I saw it coming.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Thank you all for your replies. What I ended up doing was CARTETING the roof. I found a kind of carpet that had both a sufficient length fibers and a 1/8" layer of non absorptive foam at the base. The whole operation with some help took about 2,5 hrs. We had 12' rools of 40' in length. That was the hard part, getting it up there i mean. A single roll covered a 12' length of the roof end to end. We used #3 pony clamps to fasten the carpet to the edges of the roof as well as shotbags.

A length of carpet was also dedicated for roof drain spill.

The results were great. Despite the fact that rain came soon after installation, it was completley inaudiable inside. Considering that we shot for about two more weeks at that location and it rained 40% of the time, the cost of the materials used was treated by the producers as expendables, a cheap insurance poloicy with no papaerwork :)

Now if only I found a way to get rid of the trains going by.

Bartek