788T Firmware 1.60 Available

Matt Mayer

Greetings,

Just downloaded the latest firmware and it has a behavior that is a bit scary. First my normal setup, pretty straight forward Inputs 1-4 routed to tracks R/L/A/B.  If channel 1 was turned on, just the simple act of turning on the channel armed the track for recording. I'm on a movie now where I'm swapping between 1 and 3 inputs at a moments notice.  The disturbing new behavior is you MUST enter a menu and arm/disarm a track to get it to record. You now visit menus more often if you are changing setups often.  Just afraid I'll miss a track because you still hear a track even if the track is NOT armed..

Just a heads up of the new way.  Anyone know if you can downgrade firmware?

There are a couple changes Im not in love with..

but I actually like the way you arm tracks in the new version, simply hitting the input button and scroll to the track and push.

Pretty quick for me, and I like that you dont have to turn the trims on and off and can leave it at the position you want.

Greetings,

Just downloaded the latest firmware and it has a behavior that is a bit scary. First my normal setup, pretty straight forward Inputs 1-4 routed to tracks R/L/A/B.  If channel 1 was turned on, just the simple act of turning on the channel armed the track for recording. I'm on a movie now where I'm swapping between 1 and 3 inputs at a moments notice.  The disturbing new behavior is you MUST enter a menu and arm/disarm a track to get it to record. You now visit menus more often if you are changing setups often.  Just afraid I'll miss a track because you still hear a track even if the track is NOT armed..

Just a heads up of the new way.  Anyone know if you can downgrade firmware?

But.....but.......12 tracks!! wow !!! Kindly please explain the routing? 4 aux track?? ST MIX plus 2 AUX??

Alan

The manual for this version (new manual) is up on their site to (GO SD!) and p 24 explains it all pretty well.  8 iso, 2 more always post fade, 2 more pre or post routable per each.  Pretty amazing.

Philip Perkins

The manual for this version (new manual) is up on their site to (GO SD!) and p 24 explains it all pretty well.  8 iso, 2 more always post fade, 2 more pre or post routable per each.  Pretty amazing.

Philip Perkins

Thanks Phil, will do. Wondering will a HUI be release for the 788T instead of the CL8?

Alan

Ok,

Spent the day with 1.60 in the bag and can comment a bit.

1. Turning the LCD on/off is a bit more work as now you have to Press the Illuminate button and press the Wheel..

2. If you are running/gunning with quick changes I almost stumble by not arming a track. Caught it, but you have to be on your toes not simply plug in, turn on, turn on a channel and go. 

3. The changes to the Folder/File accessing is nice

4. Didn't get a chance play with the extra tracks. I was bouncing between 1 boom and three lavs.

In my Petrol bag having to scroll around and arm/disarm tracks really cries out for the CL8 to come into play..  Otherwise it was its usual rock solid performance.

Mark L

In my Petrol bag having to scroll around and arm/disarm tracks really cries out for the CL8 to come into play..  Otherwise it was its usual rock solid performance.

Mark L

You're right! The new functionality of V1.60 is best tasted with a CL8 controller (now shipping) attached. Without the CL8, you still have access to all the new v1.60 functionality (with the exception of slatemic), however to get the best from this firmware release, we highly recommend using the CL8. The CL8 provides one-handed direct control of many functions like routing in/out of LR or Aux12, limiter, HPF, phase invert, solo, slatemic etc.

We made track arming/disarming independent from input activation and routing because it provides more flexibility such as:

- the ability to use a track as a mix/summing bus without having to waste disk space recording it - ideal for routing multiple inputs to a single output for ifb, comms, director feeds etc.

- as Chris pointed out, a track can now be very quickly armed/disarmed without having to turn on/off inputs so now you can leave your trims at the position you've set.

Access to track arming is quick - just press the INPUT button (no scrolling through the MENU necessary) and you can see all 12 tracks simultaneously and their metering, then just rotate the encoder to select track and press to toggle arming. From this screen, you can also access the master gain controls for the LR and AUX mixes.

We also have added the ability to route/unroute inputs from armed or disarmed tracks during record.

Turning the LCD on/off is a bit more work as now you have to Press the Illuminate button and press the Wheel..

Yes - pressing the light button on its own is now used to toggle the metering so that you can view 12 tracks on the led meters.

Paul

Principal Applications Engineer

Sound Devices

Glad to have you here, Paul (Isaacs).  It's a wonderful pleasure of this forum to have many developers and designers answering questions directly.

Thanks for your input.

Since you bring up the slate mic, I would (and perhaps a few others) very much like to see the enabling of the slate mic thru some alternative means than only the CL8.  I thought it might be an elegant implementation through either the built-in logic input, or the logic inputs on the CL-1.

Much obliged,

Brian