Metric halo uln-2 with the sound devices 744

knod

Hi, I'm in the market for a new or used field recorder and I'm counting my options. I usually record sfx and ambiences and some docs with no high channel count. Having a ULN 2 as a secondary interface plus a great set of preamps I was thinking to get a secondhand 744 and feed the line ins with those pres. Are they going to match for lets say a DMS or IRT-cross recording or I should trade the uln for a mixpre-d? Anyone used the uln in the field with a 4 pin xlr battery? Is it power consuming?
The other option is an sd633 (and I have some thoughts on the zoom F8 also).

I'm thinking that I'm not interested on more preamps than the digital interfacing (AES mostly). I'm not sure that I want 8 good preamps that i can't use them anywhere else than an sd card. Ok I can mix them on the analog stereo out but... Expandabilty and more options makes me feel more safe.

The other thing is the availability. The shortest time that I can find is late january meaning 2 more projects with low end (non)field gear :-( 
Maybe I am going off my topic! I should write on the f8 topic! :-D

You can, of course, use AES to connect the ULN-2 to the 744, if you do go that route. It's not exactly bag friendly, but I've used a ULN-2 with an external battery via the XLR power connector. It's a while since I did that, but as far as I remember, the ULN-2 consumes about 10 watts, so would draw just under 1 amp from a 12 volt supply.